removing weights to split tractor

Brokengun

Removing weights to split tractor

I need to split my 1370 to rebuild torque limiter clutch.

I was going to build a gantry crane using a 3-1/2” x 7” I beam 10ft long to build a gantry crane. I figure my crane will hold about 1 ton safely Problem is I don’t think that’s enough crane capacity.

So…

I have 1400lb of front end weights on the front of this tractor I was originally going to remove all of the weights but what about leaving a few of the weights on the front to counter balance the front of the tractor.

Is this risky thinking?

Personally I would rather have a super heavy gantry crane but I don’t know if I can find a bigger piece of I beam.

The gantry crane I’m going to build is 10 ft tall 50ft wide at base and 10ft wide.

The I beam I have is 3-1/2” x 7” x10ft long the up-rights will be 3-3/4 drill stem which is about ½” thick

Any ideas or suggestions.

I’ve split this thing at the rear end twice now and have built a dolly to do so but have yet to split the tractor at the engine and I need a little more info like the size of crane I need to support the engine/front half of the tractor

I built a channel iron bracket in a H pattern with a floor jack and bolted it to the rear half of my 1070 and used my chain fall A frame on the engine just today. Watch out for the front end falling forward with the weights on it.
a18796.jpg

Hello, I used to work in an IH delearship and had a guy who aleays liked to take short cuts (to beat the falt rate) and didnt take off the wieghts off the front of the tractor when he split it. We were all sitting in the break room and heard a very large crash and went out to the shop and seen the fly wheel of the split tractor looking at the cieling . Not a good thing. So my recommendation is REMOVE THE WEIGHTS. Good Luck Kenny

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back