Replacing Ford 501 pto by a new one ?

Emanuel Dion

New User
Hello everyone. I am currently working on restoring a Ford 501 mower, but the PTO is completely stuck, due to rust. As a result, I can't connect it to the tractor's powr take-off. So, I have two questions:

1. Is there any way to fix this issue (though I doubt it)?
2. Has anyone among you ever replaced the PTO of a Ford 501 with a new one? If so, how did you do that ? Apparently, the parts are hard to find.

Thanks !

Have you tried multiple applications of penetrating oil? Do you have any pictures? Like the pto won't rotate at all? Are the bearings locked up? I've got a 515 so it's a little different since it doesn't have the Pittman arm, but I think the input shaft setup is similar. More info would be helpful.

I'm slow on understanding.
By PTO, are you referring to the drive shaft
to the mower? Like it won't slide/telescope
due to rust? Hook one end to a tree and use a
come along on the other end hooked to your
pickup or tractor. Then big heat. I'll bet
you can get it to bust loose.

My original post was not clear : the drive shaft didn't telescope to the tractor take-off. I'll try your solution : hope it will works. Thanks !

(quoted from post at 09:53:53 07/19/23) How would you install the strap to slide the pto?

you need two immovable objects, like trees. chain one end of the drive shaft to one, hook your come-along/ratchet strap to the other end of the drive shaft. fasten the other end of the strap to the second immovable object. it may take multiple applications of penetrating oil.

This one was stuck. Chained the big end down to the legs of my engine hoist. Chained the small end to the lifting hook. Jacked it up good and tight, lots of Rust Blaster, kept jacking pressure, banged with a hammer, more rust blaster, more banging, more jacking. After two days she slid apart. Greased it up good and now make sure the small end is down when not in use so no water will run in. Pull it apart and grease it one a year.
mvphoto107674.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back