Reply for 1948jr RE: Lift Arm Leaks

fatbob50

Jr, The first thing you will need to do is remove both lift arms, left and right side. Next you will need something to drain the hydraulic oil into. If you keep the oil clean, you might be able to reuse it. If the oil is dirty, I would not put it back in.

After you remove the lift arms, push the shaft that goes through the tractor, from one side or the other. It won't matter which side you push from. When it is flush on one side, pull it slowly from the other side and oil will start to come out from the hole. Let the oil drain out. If you need to stop the flow, push it back in.

Once you have all the oil out, slowly pull the shaft out. By then, pretty much all the oil will be out of the tractor. Inside the hole, on each side, there is a seal. You will need a sharp pointed object, like an ice pick, or you might be able to use a good pocket knife with a sharp point. Stick the seal and it should just pry out. Be careful not to damage the groove that it sets in.

Once you get the seal out, take a flash light and shine it in the opposite side and look inside to see if there are any foreign objects in there. (Like chunks of brake pads). I will post pictures so you can what all this looks like. You will need to go to John Deere to get the replacement seals. They are not expensive. Inspect the shaft, where the seals set, to check for damage or wear to the shaft. If the shaft has a lot of wear, you might want to replace it. But the shafts run around $100.00 to $200.00 depending on the tractor. Hopefully your shaft is ok. As you can see in the photos, I have replaced a few of them. (Must be a John Deere thing.)

At this point, you might want to remove the suction screen and clean it. It is a good time to do it while all the oil is out. When you have completed all of the above, it is time to reassemble it. Take your new seals and put a bit of hydraulic oil (or light grease) on them, and put them back in the groove. Put a dab of oil on your finger and make sure your seal is in the groove properly on both sides. The best way to put the seals in, is to press the seals together where the seal forms a little v. If you are not sure, I can post another picture. Once the seals are back in place, put some hydraulic oil on your shaft and push it through carefully (left to right or right to left, either way is ok). The only critical part at this point, is there is a control lever that sticks down (inside the hole) and you need to make sure that you are on the right side of it when you go through. If the holes line up and you don't have to put any pressure on it, then you should be ok. I have not had any problem with this part.

Once you get the shaft back in, and you go to put the lift arms back on, you will need to shim the lift arms. Most parts dealers will have shim washers. When you pick up your seals, take your shaft with you, so you can get the proper diameter shim washers. Shim them enough that there is little or no play in them. Be sure to use shim washers and not regular washers. They come in different thicknesses. Hope this helps. If you have any questions regarding the above, or if you get stuck, let me know. Bob

Old seals and new seals. The new seals are a better quality.

mvphoto5737.jpg

Shaft: Check for wear as the shaft is probably around 40 years old.

mvphoto5738.jpg

Shafts from different tractors I have done.

mvphoto5739.jpg

[/img]

Shaft after it has been removed.

mvphoto5740.jpg

Close up of the groove that the seal sets in.

mvphoto5741.jpg

Close up of the right side of the seal groove.

mvphoto5742.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back