Rip Nan Winkle...;68 Camaro

Anonymous-0

The winter after I finished high school (1977) I bought a nice 1968 Camaro (for $450). It is 100% factory stock except for the dual exhaust the previous owner installed. I have stored it inside all these years.

Last night my son and I pulled it out of the corner and began prepping the engine for starting. It has not run in 28 years. The engine is still somewhat free. We're soaking the cylinders with atf. The radiator, while quite low, still contains coolant.

While I'm sure it wasn't much, I have no idea how much gas was in it when I shut it off. The gas tank has no smell (varnish, etc.) at all. All along I figured I's just use a temporary gravity fed fuel source in this start-up, but I was just thinking, would it work to just put a gallon of gas in the tank & use the factory system?

I do plan on carefully restoring the ole girl, but it's really in pretty good shape.

Thanks,
Glenn F.

Anxious to follow this story. Cars and tractors I like best are usually ones nobody can get running. What a challenge. Please all details step by step. Dave

Glenn,I just got a barn find Cadillac running that had set since 91,I put about 3 Gals in the tank and poured a little in the carb and it took off,had to keep priming for a few times to get the gas up thru the pump but it primed and ran fine.Just be careful of a backfire so don't have the priming fuel close to the carb when cranking it over,also pull a plug wire and check for spark ahead of time,I had to file the points and clean the rotor to get spark.

I"m with you. Nothing I like better than hearing it fire up for the first time.
Do the obvious.... Change the oil first along with the anti-freeze, maybe the plugs, points. etc.
KEEP US POSTED!!

Glenn. if it is not too difficult, I would advise pulling the gas tank and emptying it first. I know that you will likely rebuild the carburetor anyway, but there may be an accumulation of water in the tank which would be pumped into the carb. I ran into this several years ago when I bought one that had been sitting for only three years. And good luck on your venture.

I don't think I would have had the patience to let it sit that long. Have fun with your son. That's life as it should be.

I have a 1965 Mustang convertible we bought for a father/daughter project 13 years ago. We drove it often the first 2-1/2 years, then decided to do a full restoration. About that time, genius daughter decided she liked something else more so the Mustang has been sitting in the back of the garage on jack stands. Lately, I have made a frame fixture to mount it on so it stays straight and getting ready to jump in with both feet, on my own.

I have older pictures of it but not on the computer yet. I will try to get them scanned one of these days so I can post progress as I go.

Alway's been a Ford guy but the 67 & 68 mario's were the best Chevy ever came up with. Beautifull cars & that 302 was sweet. Post some pic's.

Know this. that Mustang has a soul, and it WILL reward you for its restoration. I know, as I've had my '68 since new and she has NEVER made me walk, unlike the Chevys I've owned. Henry Ford could've been a relative of mine, as he put the ordinary American on wheels. You take care of that Mustang and it will take care of you.

Glenn, like all the old tractors guys talk about buying on this site, you're headed for trouble fixing this Camaro up. Heck, new tires will cost more than what you bought the car for in the first place!

With that said, I'm going to offer you an easy way out of your problems and the opportunity to triple your investment! Yes- I'll pay you 3 times what you paid for that old car and come pick it up and get it out of your way!

Seriously though, if it were me if the engine cranked ok, had clean oil, and had fire to the plugs, then I'd put about a cupfull of gas in the carb to prime it and add a few gallons in the tank and start it up. Once it's running, check for leaks- the rubber hoses like the one from the metal fuel line to the fuel pump, lots of times need replaced after sitting for a long time.

Glenn, I am in the same boat as you.
I have a '69 Charger, been sittin in garage for 20 some yrs. I intend to get it out and runnin this spring. It needs to go on Ebay, as I have no desire anymore. Although, that could change if it starts and runs good!
Good for soaking cylinders. As for gas, I would fill carb with fresh and see if'n any gaskets leak. Don't want to start an engine with gas flowing all over the manifold. I have to reduild a Holley that leaks cause the seals have dried and shrunk.
The gas tank...don't chance it. Most likely the fuel pump has also dried out, cracked, and won't pump. Maybe pull it and see.
Good luck

I'm different than a lot of folk. When I buy something it's forever. Moods come & go, but the Camaro, 1970 Opel GT, DC, SC, and VAC-14 CASE, Harley Davidson, and Triumph motorcycle all stay. If you have the room, I'd keep the Charger.

Glenn

I haven't shopped around at all yet, but what's the best source for Camaro parts: front bumper, side marker lights, battery tray, etc.?

Thanks,
Glenn F.

I am like you Have a 65 Fairlane 500 bought new $2000. It has set 20 years in garage on jack stands year ago the gas tank leaked so drained it now I will have to get a new tank, need to get it started always have high plans but other projects come up. Just dont trust mechanics to start it and take it easy like I would if I really would do it.How much tmf do you put in a cylinder?

I bought the 1968 used in 1977 for $450. It has 74,000 miles on it. I put less than 100 miles on it in the near 35 years I've owned it.

Glenn F.

If your going to restore it anyway go ahead and drop the gas tank, clean it up. Replace all the old rubber fuel line. Rebuilt the carb etc.

I'll bet just arbitrarily doing all that will save you some time in diagnostics.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back