Rodeo man and unrolling hay

In response to your reply from a couple posts down about in rolling hay. I have really good success with in rolling hay and have for several years now. The ground here in south central ky is rolling, probably more than where you are. When the ground is very soft, I unroll in a different field to keep the cows from trampling and creating a muddy mess. When the ground is dry I will concentrate my feeding in one paticular field between 5 and 10 acres.

My rolls are 5 x 6 and I find that 1 roll to 40 momma cows works good for me. You need to feed only enough that they will eat in one day or they will start bedding down in it and messing in it.

I like feeding this way because you don't have the mess around the hay rings. It has reduced the number of cases of scours in calves. The cows distribute their own manure. Best of all I reduced the amount of hay I feed by 20%. It is not just me either most of my neighbors feed hay this way. Nathan

(quoted from post at 06:06:32 01/22/18) In response to your reply from a couple posts down about in rolling hay. I have really good success with in rolling hay and have for several years now. The ground here in south central ky is rolling, probably more than where you are. When the ground is very soft, I unroll in a different field to keep the cows from trampling and creating a muddy mess. When the ground is dry I will concentrate my feeding in one paticular field between 5 and 10 acres.

My rolls are 5 x 6 and I find that 1 roll to 40 momma cows works good for me. You need to feed only enough that they will eat in one day or they will start bedding down in it and messing in it.

I like feeding this way because you don't have the mess around the hay rings. It has reduced the number of cases of scours in calves. The cows distribute their own manure. Best of all I reduced the amount of hay I feed by 20%. It is not just me either most of my neighbors feed hay this way. Nathan

Thankyou, for the response. I'm not super regular here, and I almost missed it.

I have 4 x5 rolls. My cows eat 3 rolls every day, like clock work. I had been thinking, roll one out in the Am, and one out in the PM. I am going to run out of hay, if I don't do something. Not looking promising to find any in the immediate future. I would supplement that with some DDG.

(quoted from post at 06:06:32 01/22/18) In response to your reply from a couple posts down about in rolling hay. I have really good success with in rolling hay and have for several years now. The ground here in south central ky is rolling, probably more than where you are. When the ground is very soft, I unroll in a different field to keep the cows from trampling and creating a muddy mess. When the ground is dry I will concentrate my feeding in one paticular field between 5 and 10 acres.

Your cows are getting about 25 pounds of hay per day. That sounds good, especially with minimal waste.

We are also in SC KY and we unroll some of our hay. We?ve been bale grazing most of the time last 2 years. We have some hills that we just push off the 4x4 rolls. Don?t use feeders at all. Lot of way we feed depends on weather.

I rolled out hay for years. Fed late afternoon. Cows then have all day to go over what is left. Very little waste. Cows would eat well into the night. Seemed to work good went into the coldest part of day with a full stomach

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back