feed a bale of hay. Temp was -3 and she
started as good as usual. My most reliable
tractor.

cvphoto143180.jpg

Fed a couple bales of hay, put in a corn
stalks bale for bedding as well.

cvphoto143181.jpg

cvphoto143182.jpg

Winter has formally arrived. Under the snow it's mud and wet as we got rain before the snow. The cattle yard is a mess, I'm hoping a few extra bales of bedding will fix things up. And with temp below zero forthe next 8 days or so the ground should freeze in the lot at least. Is sure pretty now.

cvphoto143183.jpg

cvphoto143184.jpg

cvphoto143185.jpg

The coldest day predicted is -18 on Wednesday with a high of -1. But no -30 Temps yet, so that's good.

We don't need any snow!!!! We just went through a severe drought and not much hay anywhere. I'm just about out and winter has just started here in northeast Texas. Giving 20's for Xmas weekend. The old farmers always make it somehow. Got finger crossed. What hay you find cost over $100 roll. And they don't mind asking you these prices.

You guys could have kept the cold up there. If this Friday morning forecast comes true going to be a lot of broken water pipes around here.

But I will admit this graph is about 10 degrees colder than what the local weatherman is forecasting. Still just about everybody is saying 18 or lower for us. Thats why to cold considering some years we dont get cold enough to freeze exposed water pipes.

cvphoto143195.jpg

I am getting soft. Plans for this week are putting a cab with heat on the 3020 I feed with. Just don't like the cold anymore (not sure I ever liked it)LOL. Tom

Here in the Buckeye where i live we now have our first snow on the ground and at the moment 27 Degrees on the Plus side. . BUT that is 49 degrees BELOW my comfort zone.

Supposed to get really cold this week. So far the weather guessers are projecting 1-3 inches maybe this week.
cvphoto143199.jpg

I can take the cold better than the heat but both are getting more difficult. I've played with the idea of mounting a cab on one of my 2510's for a couple years. I keep talking myself out of it however.

open cupboard doors under sinks let hot water drip, that's what I'm going to do to nite and rest of the week.

I have a 1953 DC looks like yours. Great winter starting tractor never a need for preheat and sure to start even at -10 during the great blizzard of 1978. Used it to drag cars out of snow drifts that nite.

we are seeing forecast of-3 friday and saturday. snow possible today hope not we also seen drought

John.... Already 18 degrees on my front porch this morning. I hope they are wrong about Friday and Saturday..... We are always 10 degrees colder in our little valley. Alabama ain't supposed to be this cold

I guess most of my old gassers would start at that temp if need be but I only run the diesels in winter. So block heaters are just a fact of life. Not plugged in? Forget about it and don't even try until its been plugged in a few hours.
And that DC, I have to say the one I have is the poorest starting tractor I've known in over 50 years. Crank, battery, or pull start, if its not in a mood to start it won't. Last time we tried it a few years ago and pulled it all over the field trying to start but nothing. I call it my "pull type tractor". Picture from about 30 years ago.
mvphoto100519.jpg

Daughters sewer line plugged up last winter, called the plumber and he asked if she had a faucet dripping, she said yes to keep the water line from freezing, he said don't do that, a trickle in the sewer line will often freeze in layers and clog the line.

He said if you have to do that hook a hose to the faucet and run it outside.

I took two strings of heat tape and taped them to a fish tape and ran one in each end, took a couple of weeks for it to thaw out.

Just curious what type of a system this is. If septic, I'm surprised heat from tank doesn't keep it from freezing
unless there is a belly in the line where water sits. If municipal sewer, same thing. If basement, way to deep.
Mobile home, all bets off.

hey John I have just the thing YOU need 4 section CASE harrow on hyd cart.
near home of your CASE mixer mill

I was wondering the same thing as is being discussed herein. I have always worried about cold water dripping in cold drain pipes clogging with ice. Then I wondered about heat from the septic venting up through the roof keeping things all the way up the line thawed out. Then I thought about running hot water through the line periodically throughout the day and night. I realize I am in a somewhat warm climate....Thursday night's low is only estimated to be +9F....but that's cold enough for me and still is something I think about.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back