yesterday, drank half and left it in
the pickup. It tastes good!
The reason I was in the pickup was I
just bought 4 pails of UTF for my
Tractors.
See, root beer and tractors are
related!
That is all.

I guess root beer is an American thing only. People from Europe don't like it. I worked with some German guys and they tried it. Tasted like medicine to them.

Made root beee one time. Bought a kit, with syrup and instructions. Mixed it up and bottled it. Tasted ok , but not great, so I wasn?t drinking it very fast. Had it in the refrigerator, and by week two , bottles started to explode in the fridge. I was told that I wasn?t making anymore of that stuff, lol.
Few years later near Halloween, a farm magazine we used to get had ideas used for Halloween treats in by gone days. One of the treats was ginger beer. So the wife and I , mostly the wife , made up a batch, seemed pretty easy. And this time I was told it had to be gone before one week went by. I said no worries, dad likes ginger beer, and I will take half over to him. And I did. He didn?t open any for the first 5 days he had it, just left it sit onthe kitchen floor near the fridge. Well my folks always had the cook stove stoked, and the kitchen hot. When Dad opened the first bottle, the ginger beer sprayed all the way to the ceiling. Mother made him open the rest out side, and they all sprayed like crazy too.

Sioux City Root Beer, brewed in Sioux City. Sells in a 4 pack, and you won't find it in your typical commodity driven chains. Very, very good, not overly sugared up and makes a Root Beer Float to die for. Chase some down...............

We'd make it when I was a kid, bottle it in the tall green Coke bottles we would clean and re-use. I was too young to understand the whole process but I remember the distinctive taste--like no commercially-produced root beer I've ever had. This has got me to thinking I'd like to look up the recipe for home-made root beer and give it a try again.

My great grandma Piggot used to make homemade root beer out of sassafrass roots it wasn't carbonated but sure tasted good. Root beet is still my favorite, especially with vanilla ice cream.

I did the same thing as bruce, I had bottle exploding in my basement by day 6. last time I made any, but it was good.

Lol. I made Root beer with my son's when they were young 7 and 8. I put the 2 leader in the pantry. About a week later at about 2 in the morning it exploded. Blew the pantry doors open, dented the bread machine it was sitting next to and blew Oreo cookies all over the kitchen. Root beer was everywhere. Ya last time I did that. Boys thought it was very cool it exploded!!!

I drink A & W Root Beer every day. We used to make our own 60 years ago from the original ingredient, Sassafrass.

Sassafrass was worth big money when early explorers found it in the "New World" and sent it back to Europe.

It is also supposedly what saved the life of Jacques Cartier and his crew from Scurvy back in the 1500s in Canada.

Too bad the EPA ruined a good thing in the USA and decided that it might be a carcinogen if we over-indulge.

(quoted from post at 20:23:08 03/24/18) Made root beee one time. Bought a kit, with syrup and instructions. Mixed it up and bottled it. Tasted ok , but not great, so I wasn?t drinking it very fast. Had it in the refrigerator, and by week two , bottles started to explode in the fridge. I was told that I wasn?t making anymore of that stuff, lol.
Few years later near Halloween, a farm magazine we used to get had ideas used for Halloween treats in by gone days. One of the treats was ginger beer. So the wife and I , mostly the wife , made up a batch, seemed pretty easy. And this time I was told it had to be gone before one week went by. I said no worries, dad likes ginger beer, and I will take half over to him. And I did. He didn?t open any for the first 5 days he had it, just left it sit onthe kitchen floor near the fridge. Well my folks always had the cook stove stoked, and the kitchen hot. When Dad opened the first bottle, the ginger beer sprayed all the way to the ceiling. Mother made him open the rest out side, and they all sprayed like crazy too.

Bottled way to soon . There was still active yeast and sugar .

(quoted from post at 20:23:08 03/24/18) Made root beee one time. Bought a kit, with syrup and instructions. Mixed it up and bottled it. Tasted ok , but not great, so I wasn?t drinking it very fast. Had it in the refrigerator, and by week two , bottles started to explode in the fridge. I was told that I wasn?t making anymore of that stuff, lol.

Bottled way to soon . There was still active yeast and sugar .

My mother used to make great root beer. She used to use Hires Extract,used to buy it in the grocery store. Kept it in the cool basement,every now and then,one would blow up. Dad used to make real beer,always had a batch fermenting in the kitchen in a big urn.

JDEM, We have an A&W drive-in south of me and when I go to the other place I'll call ahead and order a hole chicken and 1/2 gallon of Root beer when headed home. Its ready to pick up when I get there. A frosty mug and a hot dog is also hard to beat.

(quoted from post at 17:17:42 03/24/18) I guess root beer is an American thing only. People from Europe don't like it. I worked with some German guys and they tried it. Tasted like medicine to them.

That's interesting. While in the Air Force, I gained a pen friend from Finland. One time she sent me a small package of something called Salmiakki. Wasn't sure what it was and, since this was before the age of internet, I tried looking the word up in my dictionary to see if maybe there might be some information there. Closest thing I could find was something called Sal Ammoniac, and it mentioned that this substance was once used to induce vomiting. My pen friend was a bean pole, so couldn't help but think maybe she was that way because of this awful-tasting stuff!!

Well, seems I was wrong. Salmiakki is the Finnish word for "Salty Liquorice", and is considered a treat over there. Had a hard time figuring that one out, as when I tried a piece, it barely made contact with my tongue and I was fighting like mad to spit it out! *lol*

Had a A&W in Vernheim Germany when I was there. They had great Root Beer, along with regular beer. Poured a whole gallon of root beer on a guys carb fire one Sat night. Try finding parts for a 68 GTO in Germany.

I got an A& W 30 miles in either either direction of me. Two summers ago my boss being the smart a## that he is. The a &w bear was walking around town . The boss screams out "Hey you, bear get over here I need a new rug."
Sod Buster

(quoted from post at 17:29:05 03/24/18) I'll be drinking a root beer here in a little while but it will be a Hard root beer.

I bought a six pack of that hard root beer once. It was surprisingly good but the alcohol taste still ruined the root beer.

(quoted from post at 20:10:24 03/24/18)
(quoted from post at 17:29:05 03/24/18) I'll be drinking a root beer here in a little while but it will be a Hard root beer.

I bought a six pack of that hard root beer once. It was surprisingly good but the alcohol taste still ruined the root beer.
same here. "Not your granfathers root beer"?? Didn't think it was that great.

When I was a kid (dinosaurs still lurking), my mom (with my help-see forced labor rules) used to make Root Beer with a store bought 'Hires' kit (or whatever) also Sasparilla (which is the poor mans root beer). ;^)

Nothing like a hard root beer float . only time I drink pop is when I'm in town and the water ain't fit to drink or for a root beer float

We made a batch once with the same results. Sometimes they "popped" in the basement and we were not allowed to open them in the house as they usually foamed vigorously.

Root beer is good. I'll take a Vernors please. If not from close to MI you probably will not know what Vernors is. It is the best ginger ale made.

HOME MADE ROOT BEER QUESTION ....... if a person makes home made root beer, it gets fizzy in the bottle right? So that is just like making regular beer I think, the fizz is from the carbon dioxide which is a by product of fermentation (so sugar breaking down into alcohol and carbon dioxide ..... or something like that). If the fizz in home made root beer comes from fermentation, it must have alcohol in it. Maybe someone can explain all of this ??????

On another list I'am on they were talking about root beer one night. When one of the guys who lived in Sweden, said he had never tasted or herd of root beer. One of the guys sent him a bottle. His reply was why would anyone want to drink something that tasted like toothpaste. Now every time I drink root beer it tastes like toothpaste. Hope this don't spoil root beer for you to.

Americans don't like American beer warm. Any beer is good if you get it cold enough. Why, I'm told that if you take a can of Schlitz and stick it in liquid Nitrogen over night, it's almost drinkable.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back