rrlund windows 10

Joe W.

This message is for rrlund in the hopes that I can help a little with your frustration with photos in Windows 10. Now I'm no expert by any means but my grandson helped me understand my photo filing system so I can manipulate photos. If this doesn't help at least I tried with my small amount of knowledge. First, locate File Explorer in your Windows system. I'm told it's in all Windows systems including 7. On my screen it's on the bottom task bar showing as a manila folder. You can also find it if you left click on the Start Menu and there are 3 or 4 other methods to find it. Click on it. Up comes a listing of icons including "Pictures" and "Documents" and now you need to determine where you store your photos. I store mine under Pictures. Some folks may store them under Documents. When I download my photos from my camera card, I copy the photos and paste them in Pictures. Wherever you store your photos, click on it. Up will come your photo folders. From there you probably know the drill - double click on the folder and then double click on the individual photo. So to email a photo, on the email page click on the paper clip, up will come your file explorer where you can click on the place where you store your photos, double click on the folder and double click on the photo. Done. I'm only the messenger here.

My problem is with getting them from the card to the files. I have to download the entire card. I can't click and drag the photo I want like I used to be able to do. I can right click,left click,double click,nothing makes any difference. If I could open the Snipping Tool,I'd save them that way,but I can't even do that when the card file screen is up.

Like I said,maybe about January,if things are slow,I'll put away all the sharp and heavy objects that I might want to do harm to my computer with and I'll try to figure it out. Who knows,maybe we'll be blessed with Windows 11 by then.

I don't have trouble importing the pictures I want from my card. What I have trouble with is I have to go through too much junk to just view them as I am doing it mostly for trail cameras I have out at the farm. When I put my card in the card reader the pictures come up in a very dark small screen that is hard to view clearly. They all have check marks on them. On top of the screen it allows you to uncheck all of them if you want and then scroll down and check the ones you want to keep on computer and tell it to import. As I rarely import any, I close that program, leaving card in reader and go to my pc to get to the file and view them from there. I never hook camera to computer with usb cord as I just bring home the cards so that might be a different situation.

I just spent an hour with a phone tech. He created an email client on Thunderbird that I select the pix on, then I email them to my regular Verizon address. It worked for him , very little of it has worked for me .I'll try it a few more times , but I see another call in the morning coming this way ......

I use 10 and have it open the file manager when using cards, phones, etc.

Then you can drag, copy, etc.

The "Download" program that I like to use, came with the (Canon) Camera.
It shows all the picts on the camera chip and lets you select the ones you want to download.
Mebbe you can find an update, specific to your camera, that's compatible with W10,
or reinstall the one that came w/ your camera if compatible.

rrlund,

A couple things to try come to mind...

If you are inserting an SD storage card into your computer... maybe there's a chance that it is the problem (I've had cards and flashdrives go bad on me before - that's why I "double backup" all my photos and important files to an extra flashdrive and to a mega-huge 4TB flashdrive... just in case one goes bad).

1. Do you have another card that you can try to get pics from? Just to see if that card works? (Just to help with the process of elimination.)

2. Can you plug your camera in to your computer with the USB cord that comes with digital cameras... then open the camera files that way? Then either drag 'n drop your photos OR copy/paste them into your computer folders?

Seems like something is goofy for you - because I took my camera and a cord to work last week to see if I could transfer photo files (since that computer has the Win 10 download). And I could get my pics transferred to the computer with no trouble, using either method of drag 'n drop or copy/paste.

Bummer for the frustration factor. I can empathize because my phone has gone wonkie... and now I can only transfer pics from it, using an SD card that fits into an adaptor which makes it like a flashdrive. I CANNOT simply plug my phone into my computer using the USB cord like I used to do. Bought a new cord to see if that was the problem - still says "no photos found", when I try it. It's a pain in the neck to remove the phone case, then the back of the phone, then fish out the paper-thin SD card.

But I guess that's the method I'm stuck with. Dang computers, cameras and smart-phones. Grrrrrrr!!

I use a program called Faststone Image Viewer and it solves all my picture problems. When I connect the camera to the computer I start the program, and then click downlaod photos from camera. Its all automatic and I find it works well for my needs.

The guide I posted before should have showed how to do this. Windows has it built in, when you plug in a camera, the way people typically do it, is to automatically download any new photos and not any photos that have already been downloaded. My guess is you are maybe in the Photos app that pops up, and it doesn't work like File Explorer.

I have not tried the Fastone Viewer, but it looks "OK", might be worth a look. Picasa was good, haven't looked if it can still be downloaded from a "safe" place, but best to use something that's supported now.

Otherwise, File explorer works pretty much like it has for years. Plug in your camera, X anything that pops up. On the bottom bar is a yellow folder, click on that. Left side, scroll down to see under this PC, click so it opens and you can see things like desktop, documents, etc. Your camera should be further down (drives like c:, d:, might show up below that), click it. You can highlight and select multiple files, copy/paste, drag/drop as always. If you want another file explorer open (couple ways to do it), but right click on the bottom bar on file explorer, select file explorer, you then have a second window to drag stuff to, select Pictures for example, should be toward the top.

It is also possible that some settings from your old install messed up a few things so they don't work exactly right. There's a way to reset, etc.

I'm haying now, waiting on drying after the rain last night, so I'm not watching or responding much probably. 10 isn't that bad if you use Windows, it can work, I know lots of neighbors that switched to 10 with minimal issues, I set up some, but like I said, not much trouble, including computer illiterate coming from 7. Issues can be sorted out.

I'm using a Canon with a USB cord. I'll save this post to favorites so I can try some of these things when I get time,but just having a few minutes here and there to sit down this time of year I can't get it.
I'm not going to waste ten minutes at noon fooling with it just to end up mad enough to smash something the rest of the day.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back