RTU question.

montidale

I am wondering if there is supposed to be a gasket between the intake and the exhaust manifold on an RTU. I guess you could call it a heat riser. The intake manifold is smooth but the exhaust is pited a bit. So I’m afraid that some of the exhaust gas might leak between the manifold. I looked in the parts book and they don’t show a gasket. i’m guessing it would have to be a thin gasket, because if it was too thick, it would change the alignment of the ports on the head. I do have some heavy duty gasket material, but I’m afraid it would be too thick.

I am wondering if there is supposed to be a gasket between the intake and the exhaust manifold on an RTU. I guess you could call it a heat riser. The intake manifold is smooth but the exhaust is pited a bit. So I’m afraid that some of the exhaust gas might leak between the manifold. I looked in the parts book and they don’t show a gasket. i’m guessing it would have to be a thin gasket, because if it was too thick, it would change the alignment of the ports on the head. I do have some heavy duty gasket material, but I’m afraid it would be too thick.
Not sure on the gasket. I've never had one apart. I figure if they are together as a unit it is best not to separate them unless there is a need to.

Don't think gasket. Believe they are two separare just butted together. Early ZT used a different manifold with heat riser for distillate.

This is from parts manual R 1086C for newer style R, 1949 and later

Attachments

• mm r parts book  24 2527.jpg
    mm r parts book 24 2527.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 19
  • mm r parts book  24 2528.jpg
    mm r parts book 24 2528.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 20
I am thinking the gas and kerosene manifolds are just bolted together. I think that is to transfer some heat to the intake so the carburetor won't freeze up. The lp ones might be different.

Well, I decided to put it together without a gasket. We’ll have to run it and see if there’s any exhaust gas leaking around it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back