Rust in the fuel tank and radiator- how I got rid of it

BigC

New User
OK. Just in case anyone else needs a few things I have learned over the past few weeks getting my HD16 up and moving. She was plagued with rust and gunk everywhere. Time consuming but worked for me.
Fuel Tank grime and rust
1. Drain old fuel and water
2. Fill it up with water. Leave room for a couple of extra gallons.
3. Mix up a whole box of automatic dishwasher soap. Dump it into te tank.
4. I used my little 50K Torpedo heater and heated the tank good and hot.
5. Let it sit overnight. I heated and stirred it up 24hrs later then drained it.
6. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse
7. Now for the rust..Fill it up with water again..leave some room.
8. Get some Sterosol from Tractor Supply. It contains a substantial amount of Phosphoric acid. Dump it in..I used 2 gallons per 90 gal of water. You can make it stronger to make it work faster. You can add some heat that helps too but I was out of town for a week anyway.
9. I let mine sit for a week. It was about 75 degrees that week. I had a rusty metal dipstick to guage it.
10. Neutralize with Baking soda. Buy the big boxes. It takes alot.
11. Rinse Rinse Rinse
12. The phosphoric acid leaves a black coating that will resist flash rust.
13. Turn on the torpedo heater and GENTLY heat the tank. Provide some ventilation to the tank. Openings are small so you want to get some ari moving through it. I used the exhaust side of a shop vac.
14. Once it's dry. Fill her up. Now I put a little biocide and water remover in as to help decomntaminate the rest of the system
The nice thing is tank didn't have to be removed.

As for the radiator gunk.
Same as the fuel tank except you can use the motor to circulate and heat it so it goes quicker.
Two key ingredients. Automatic dishwasher soap ad Sterosol (Phosphoric Acid)
You will see alot of Junk and rust come out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back