Can I store gasoline in a former diesel tank?

WI Dan

A friend got me these tanks. Both have a gallon or two of diesel sloshing around. Approx 3year old diesel.
I want to store gas in the aluminum stand tank. Can I just fill it up? Do I need to rinse it out first?
(The red tank with the pump, I want to sell, so I'm leaving as-is)

mvphoto111277.jpg

I would drain and clean/rinse the whole tank. The local bulk dealer provides that service around here. I would check with your dealer to see if they provide the same.

I have switched tanks/fuels around without issue. But I have drained the tanks completely first. The only issue I remember is, I
think a neighbor had a small (30 GAL?)galvanized drum that he wanted me to fill with diesel fuel. Seems like it went bad quickly.
And I think I've read about that on here.

I would try to get all of the remainder
out, even if just a gallon or two. I might
not be concerned much about that gallon or
two of diesel remaining there into a full
tank of gas, but I would be concerned about
how much water (condensation) is in that
gallon or two of what you think is just
diesel.

When changing fuels, is a good time to get
it bone dry and insure there is no
condensation build up in the tank. And
that's where the bulk of the condensation
will be, is in those last remaining few
gallons.

I had a couple of gallons of some diesel left from some equipment I had rented. Had no use for it so I would put a quart in 5 gallons of gasoline then burned it in my old Ford 860. That is a 20 to 1 mix. Actually seemed to run stronger.

BUT, the engine wanted to keep running when I shut off the ignition. I guess it thought is was a diesel. Got so I would put it in 5th gear, turn it off then let out the clutch.

nothing to worry about if the diesel is clean. that was a common thing to do was to add diesel to the gas on them old tractors. i use my
phone light in the evening makes it easier to see inside to check tanks. rinsing is also a good thing .

Since that looks like an old truck tank there should be a drain plug you can turn to get on the bottom. Then Tip it so the rest will drain so you can mop it out with a clean rags and stick. Then refill with the gas. IF you can keep the drain plug at the bottom and to the low end you can then each year just crack the plug loose to let water drain out through the threads.

(quoted from post at 05:53:29 11/02/23) I have switched tanks/fuels around without issue. But I have drained the tanks completely first. The only issue I remember is, I think a neighbor had a small (30 GAL?)galvanized drum that he wanted me to fill with diesel fuel. Seems like it went bad quickly.

How did it go bad?

-caterpillar guy
That's a great idea! I'm gonna look for that drain valve.
The guy had it mounted at a slight angle back, must have been doing just what you suggested.

Yes, it's a tank from a truck, I can see marks where the band straps held onto it.

I would at least drain what is in there. Diesel would lower the octane and it would be too hard to figure how much high octane it would take to compensate.

Most definitely water settles to the bottom. Use a ball
valve with a plug in the end so someone dont come by
and open the valve. Then in spring and fall just walk up
there with your 5 gallon pail and drain a bit out and check
what u have.

Pa always poured a pint of diesel each
time he filled the gas tractors. He
thought it gave them a little more power
and also a little lubricity.

(quoted from post at 11:42:14 11/02/23)
(quoted from post at 05:53:29 11/02/23) I have switched tanks/fuels around without issue. But I have drained the tanks completely first. The only issue I remember is, I think a neighbor had a small (30 GAL?)galvanized drum that he wanted me to fill with diesel fuel. Seems like it went bad quickly.

How did it go bad?

There can be a reaction between diesel and the zinc in the galvanizing. Galvanized piping is not recommended for plumbing of fuel systems, storage or otherwise.

years ago, I had a 275 gallon metal fuel tank I used to store heating oil. .
It had over 5 gallons of mud in the tank.
I used a pressure washer with a rotary nozzle to clean the tank.

Definitely clean the tank and post back.

(quoted from post at 08:40:58 11/02/23) A friend got me these tanks. Both have a gallon or two of diesel sloshing around. Approx 3year old diesel.
I want to store gas in the aluminum stand tank. Can I just fill it up? Do I need to rinse it out first?
(The red tank with the pump, I want to sell, so I'm leaving as-is)

mvphoto111277.jpg
ven the fuel distributors recommend using ethanol gas within 30 days. I think I have exceeded that a little, but for sure when it hangs around for month after month it sucks up enough moisture to turn into the kind of nasty snot that I cough up with a bad cold. Then you have a real mess!

First thing I would do is throw away that tank on the ground.

Next I would make sure I could find a supplier that will deliver
to the tank in the air and what their requirements are.

Next I would install the hose shut off on the tank end of the
hose not the dispenser end.

While you are at it, add a final filter in the discharge line at the tank.....Goldenrod or something like that, TSC has them and on the
www.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back