Sanginaw 318

sotxbill

Neighbor is looking for a saginaw 318 trans for a 52 chev pickup. This model has the enclosed torque tube or drive shaft. It jumps out of third gear when you let off the gas. I understand that in '55 the trans switched to open drive shafts on the 318 but dont know if the parts interchangable between the early and late. This trans was used up to '64 per the info I can find. I though I would ask the folks here for their wisdom on this matter or parts location. You can get a generic rebuild kit that includes bearings but not much else. Thanks in advance

I would look inside the one he has, see what it needs and repair it.

Odds of finding a good, ready to run used one are very slim.

Yes to that. That was a common issue with the 318 right up 'til they quit using them in about 59-60. It will need a new main drive gear and syncho assembly probably, Used ones will have wear in the same area and fully rebuilt, if they can be found are really expensive.

Numbers below might be correct. Not certain.

1940-1953 Chevrolet GMC Passenger & Truck All 3 Speed

Main Drive gear : WT242-16 GM interchange number : 609320 Tooth : L16-19T

Synchro 605020 AWT 242-2 1/2A

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back