SC: my 1st Case; some oddities, have questions...

DennisT

Brought home my first Case a few days ago and we are getting to know one another...

1954, wide front SC. Runs great. A few maintenace neglect issues, but not many.

I got to see Steve Stevens' beautiful '54 SC today in Reardon, WA. He and his tractor were a Big help in seeing what's missing on mine and what is out of adjustment, etc. I have a few odd questions and a couple specific puzzles I'll put in other posts.

1. Steve's has a foot throttle and mine does not. Mine is ever so slightly older, so that must be the difference. His came with no pully, mine has a pully. So did the very last production SC's ever have pullys??

2. Mine has NO pully brake; Is that because I have a foot clutch?

3. Steve's and mine both have the fancier seat, and Steve knew what that was called but I've forgotten. (??) His sits properly upright but mine, when I got it, had the seat pan sitting far back and low. When I lift mine up, it stays in correct position but falls back when I sit on it. I can see the pair of large, rubber tension bushings under the seat with their tightening knob, (which is stuck yet on mine) Are those bushings there in place of any seat spring???? If so, I must need to free things up and tighten them up for my seat to work right. I bought Saeli's 3 manuals but my seat is not covered in any of them. I wish I had a parts book....

Can anyone explaine the operating principles of the seat? I would think it would have a main coil spring somewhere....

Oh, my s/n is: 8030397

Comments appreciated,
Dennis

rubber torsion replaced the "spring", sounds like yours are broke here's lit on your seat cnt
a41731.jpg

I also have a 54 SC, have hade it for 40 years. Mine dose not have a foot throtle either. It may have an option. There should be a pully brake. My pully brakedrum wore once, and I rebuilt it with part of an oilfilter can off an IHC truck. As far as the seat you can get new rubber's for a lot of $$$, or you can be cheap like me and put a block of wood under them.
I think I might have the pully brake parts, out back on a parts SC.

CaseNutty: Thanks for the photo. Best view I have now. The picture shows that little, "Y," shaped casting sitting vertical on top of the main case. If I push my seat up, it will take that position, but when I sit on it, that Y piece flips back and just lays down. So are all of you saying the only,"spring," in the seat is that body weight, "twists," the big rubber bushings?

If that's the case, (pun), then they must, indeed, break and mine has. Too bad. I'd like to have the seat work as it was originally was intended. I might have to fix that when money allows. Probably no alternative except the, "block of wood," as suggested.

Dennis

Thanks, Mr. Aiken. Another question: when I asked about pully brake, I visualize an external,"shoe," that is actuated by some lever. It would likely have a little piece of lining on it. Am I right? We're not talking about something inside the pully are we?

I see no evidence of any part of pully brake on mine. So if the last 2 years of SC's had that brake, I'm missing castings.

Oh, what are you referring to when you said, "pully brake DRUM??"

I wish I had a parts book for this SC so I could look up exploded diagrams and see what all the parts looked like. Anyone offer such a thing?

Dennis

Those "big rubber bushings" as seat springs work very well if they are not old and delaminated from the metal parts. In a different configuration this method lasted on up through the 60s, my 630 has them and I rode a 54 SC seat with them for many many years. Also they don't work well whemn you are 8 years old and too light to twist them (<: .

If you can find the foot throttle in a scrap yard get it, it is far superior to having to reach down between your legs to control your speed (OK for steady RPM work like plowing but for general work its a pain). The foot throttle is great on the last model '52?, '53, and '54 SCs. BTW 1954 was the last year Case built the SC and DC, LA too I think, some were sold as '55 and '56 models by dealers I think but these were factory left overs, CNT, AGC and John Saeli can confirm this but I think I am accurate here.

Jim

The pully brake drum is the dark pise in the middle with the scraches on it. The leaver with the adjusting screws has the brake lineing on it.

Thank you Mr. Aiken, for taking the time to post the photo. Now it makes sense, and when I just walked out to my tractor I could see where it is now that I know. I used to collect John Deere stuff back in the late 1960's; so I could only imagine an external shoe like JD used on D's, etc. In fact, I thought I saw a SC case manual somewhere that DID show something like. Maybe the nearly hidden version was the last incarnation for SC's??

Next: what actuates the pully brake. I can see the shaft seems to cross the underbelly of the tractor just about where the clutch attaches on the left side. But my pully brake doesn't seem to work.

??

Dennis

Another thing: When I just looked at mine, from the rear, the, "shoe," for the brake looked shiny....so I'll bet there is no longer any lining there.

Dennis

The picture that CNT has shows the center arm coming down from the top. The rubber spring arms on the tractors I have, the arm is coming up from the bottom. What is the proper installation for SC,DC, and 400"s? I just bought 2 from John Saeli. A good pulley brake for the SC and DC foot clutch tractors is the hardest part to find. They are usually wore past the pad. If the pulley is on you have to get under the tractor to see if the pad is wore out.

The torsion rubber springs are no lnger available from Case, but as previously stated, you might find one on E-bay. My experience is they will last a long time if protected from sunlight but seem to deteriate quicker if left exposed to the elements.When walking junk yards, I always check the cab tractors to see if they have decent looking ones.

Guys I can't find the ad right now but I think it is Minn-Kota Repair (something like this ) has new reproduced rubber torsion springs, cnt

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back