Seresto Flea Collar issues

Rkh

Put on our dog a Seresto flea collar right after his hair cut & developed sore around bottom of his neck. We have used them for 4 yrs with no issues. Would like to wrap something around flea collar just at his lower neck. Any suggestions?
cvphoto83983.jpg

Soresto has been in the news lately with reports of dogs having siezures and other prolems including death for some. Research it and maybe take the collar off until you feel its safe to use.

Frontline is so expensive-was thinking of using heat shrink couple inches long to put on inside of flea collar on bottom of his neck.

I had a Springer Spaniel that had a problem with tics in his ears. I tried things in his ears, didn't work very well. A flea color did the job.

FWIW - https://hemopet.org/seresto-flea-and-tick-collars-and-the-epa/ . . . and in the other corner . . . https://www.post-gazette.com/pets/pet-reports/2021/03/05/Valley-pet-experts-dispute-claims-of-unsafe-flea-tick-collars/stories/202103050146

I understand that Seresto was developed to treat dogs on Indian Reservations - where an annual one-and-done treatment was more practical than catch and dose monthly. Personally I weigh the monthly inconvenience of a pill against having my dog wearing & constantly dispensing a chemical against whatever it touches.

If you cover the lower part - can you be sure that the collar doesn't rotate and continue to irritate? You pays your money and makes your choices - but I'd take the collar off the dog until that sore heals. (and check w/ vet?).

We use Brevecto, it's a pill that protects for 3 months. Terrible expensive but it works for our skin sensitive Airedale. Been using it since it came out 5-10 years ago.... no problems.

Bill

From a USA Today article:

Seresto, one of the most popular flea and tick collars in the country, has been linked to hundreds of pet deaths, tens of thousands of injured animals and hundreds of harmed humans, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency documents show.

How about applying "liquid bandage" painted over the sore area??
Available at Wal-Mart.

Read instructions for flea collar, I bet it says to make sure there is plenty of fur between collar and skin.
To avoid irritating the skin.

Have used Seresto for awhile on cats and have seen same thing on about 1 out if every 4 cats (i.e., 25 percent). Had to pull the collars off those but the remaining ones still kept the fleas down.

For your case if you have just one dog, might try wrapping the collar in something porous so that the Seresto chemicals can permeate but the collar itself is held off the skin. Place like Joann Fabric might have something or some fabric that could be easily sewn as a tube (or ironed together with StitchWitchery). Could also try cutting the fingers off of cheap brown jersey gloves (cut tips off, too) and stack those on tge Seresto collar.

Brevecto as expensive as it is suspected to be the cause of mood and behaviour changes in dogs here in Australia.
Our own Whippet became depressed and erratic after being treated , the Veterinarian told me he'd seen the same symptoms in other dogs treated with it .

Tried heat shrink, but his flea collar moves around enough, that it ends up away from neck.

Be humane and take the &@%# collar that is irritating his skin off and throw it in the trash and try something else.

If you GOOGLE the brand name you mentioned and "pet deaths" and don't take it off even after that you should be arrested for cruelty to animals.

DONT use seresto It been in the news with pets dying . We use frontline ya I know it went up in price Just like most other stuff But we use on our 3 GSPs for many years No problems.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back