Sharpen bush hog blades

adkinsjc

I would like to sharpen my bush hog blades without taking them off the mower. What tool is recommended to do this? A hand grinder of some type that I could get at Harbor Freight? Just want to give them some kind of an edge. Thanks.

I would like to sharpen my bush hog blades without taking them off the mower. What tool is recommended to do this? A hand grinder of some type that I could get at Harbor Freight? Just want to give them some kind of an edge. Thanks.
Angle grinder if you can support it and be safe to do so

When I sharpened my woods mower blades, I would raise up the mower, and block it good. Then crawl under the deck, using a 4 inch hand grinder sharpen both blades. Get the coarsest wheel possible to take off metal fast, The less time under the mower the better. It's very uncomfortable. Stan

I routinely sharpen rough cut mower blades with a 4.5" angle grinder without removing the blades from the cutter. Simply reach under from behind, and never get beneath mower. Usually takes less than 15 minutes for 2 blades.

Of course, I keep my blades sharp, so resharpening is easy. If blades need substantial grinding to sharpen, best to remove and sharpen off mower.

I welded an eye on mine and raise it up with my loader bucket until it starts leaning the opposite direction away from me..

I learned that the 40 or 60 grit flap discs work much better than stones. I used to use my three belt sanders to sharpen the mowing blades on several machines .......... the grinder with the flap discs works much better.
images.jpg

It is actually a waste of time to sharpen a mower blade,, the end 2 inches do most of the cutting, and when that part wears out and rounds off the blade will push the crop away as it spins,,If you have a wide mower this will make it leave a missed strip between the blades.

It is actually a waste of time to sharpen a mower blade,, the end 2 inches do most of the cutting, and when that part wears out and rounds off the blade will push the crop away as it spins,,If you have a wide mower this will make it leave a missed strip between the blades.

Depends upon how one uses one's mowers.

Having cleared no ground for over 25 years, I use all of my rough-cut mowers as HD finish mowers. For such usage, sharp blades cut better, require a bit less HP, and use a bit less fuel. Decades ago, when I did cut saplings, I kept an old cutter with dull blades around for such purpose.

The downside, of course, is blade life. I change blades regularly because I grind them after nearly each use.

I shorten the top link so I can raise it higher, then block it safely and crawl under it with a 4.5-inch grinder. But remember, the sharper the blades the more apt the little stubs are to cause tire damage.

This is why they have warning labels on bottled water "Not to swallow the cap"

That makes me wonder if you elongate the mounting hole with a torch or drill bit to get more life out of a blade as the end wears off? I overlap enough when mowing I wouldn't ever need to do it though with a 6' mower.

I have a Woods M5 rotary mower and as you see in the picture, it has an access hole with that removable cover on it. One can remove that cover and have access to the bolts that hold the blades onto the cross beam. It's very easy to remove the blades from the mower and sharpen them. I kind of thought that all two bladed rotary mowers would have an access hole like that but, I guess not. Good luck trying to sharpen those blades while laying under the mower. Just block it up well.

Dp9sdDB.jpg

My Rhino has access cover. Need good impact to get nuts off. Some are Left hand, some have notch to hold bolt from turning. Sometimes takes 2 to put back on.

In variably every time I sharpen or change blades the first thing that happens is I hit an unseen piece of concrete.

Reactions: bc

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back