Shingle mill blade diameter

fixerupper

Our local threshing show has a shingle mill that is needing a new blade. The blade is worn down to where the outside diameter is too small in comparison to the cast disk bolted to the underside of the blade. The cast disk measures 26" in diameter. We think it needs a 36" blade by measuring the general area available in the framework. A 38" blade could possibly work too but it looks to us like 36" is closer to the right size. Do any of you guys know if there is a certain ratio as to the diameter of the blade compared to the diameter of the underside cast disk? A fella who knows his saw blades looked at it and mentioned the blade in this saw is thicker in the center than on the outer diameter of the blade but he claims for no more than we will use it we can use a blade that is the same thickness all the way across the blade.

This guy said if we can find him a blade to work with he will put carbide teeth on it so it won't be a cheap blade but it should last us several lifetimes.

So again, do any of you guys know if there is a special ratio between the underside disk diameter and the outside diameter of the blade?
mvphoto73918.jpg

The underside of the blade

mvphoto73919.jpg

The name of the manufacturer. I don't know how old this mill is but I am pretty sure it is over 100 years.

I don't know the ratio but I can look at my mill tomorrow & measure mine if that will help. I had my blade off two years ago to get sharpened but I didn't measure my center disk diameter. It will be later tomorrow but I will post what I find.

I think you need to measure specifically the diameter of the frame, taking into account the gap, for the correct movement of the mill blade.

You might want to contact Menominee Saw. I believe they service sawmill blades, if they can't, they can point you to some one who can help you..
https://www.menomineesaw.com/About-Us_ep_42-1.html

(quoted from post at 02:44:39 04/21/21) I think you need to measure specifically the diameter of the frame, taking into account the gap, for the correct movement of the mill blade.
This is the type of mill where the blade sits in one place and a carriage with the log in it slides across the blade. The maximum room for the blade is about 19 from the center of the spindle which translates to a38 blade. When the log carriage is fully retracted back there almost isnt enough room to clear the blade. This is why I am thinking 36? The old blade has been sharpened so many times the distance from the tips of the teeth isnt far enough away from the casting on the underneath of the blade so the shingle being cut isnt cut away enough to allow it to start spreading away from the log. So we end up with very hard effort to push the log through and the shingle burning making smoke. There must be a magic distance the tips of the teeth should be from where the ring is that I dont know about.

You have any more pics???

That looks a bit like my perkins!!

If you have about 20" from center to the frame then you should have a 38" blade on the saw.

I would think around 33" to 34" would be minimum.

Mine is around 35" right now.

I bought a real nice blade that is over 36" and has the collar but it will not fit mine.

(quoted from post at 19:11:06 04/20/21)
This guy said if we can find him a blade to work with he will put carbide teeth on it so it won't be a cheap blade but it should last us several lifetimes.

mvphoto73918.jpg

The underside of the blade

The name of the manufacturer. I don't know how old this mill is but I am pretty sure it is over 100 years.

I took a better look at your collar, it looks to be worn a lot compared to most I have seen.

Can you get me some contact info.

I cannot find an email here for you.

I have one other person looking at the blade to see if it will fit his.

The hole center was off by 1/16" for mine!!!!!!!!!

(quoted from post at 11:00:36 04/29/21) I sent an email Sunday I have several of those blades

Do you have any for a Perkins???

The 3 big bolts are 3/4 with 5 7/16 center to center.

Looking for 37" to 38".

Thanks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back