Six little Indians loose at the house today!!!!

JD Seller

My brother called me at 6 Am this morning and asked me if I could watch his two grandsons. He is back doing high pressure pipe welding in power plants on an emergency call basis. He got called this morning. HIs wife had to work today as well. So I told him to drop them off an I would watch them. So since I was home bound I called my youngest son and told him to drop his two off so he did not have to pay for day care today. HE told me they had his SIL two boys this week. So I told him to just drop them all off. So now I had SIX little boys heading my way. What is even better is my wife left Sunday to visit her family so I am batching it for the next two weeks.

So by 8 PM I had them all here. I rummaged around and found them all some old cloths to wear so they could get DIRTY!!!! LOL One four, one five, two sixes, one seven and one 8 year old boys.

So I grabbed my change jar and we all headed for the shop. I have several buckets of good nuts, bolts and washers that I get at various places. Lots of the stuff is brand new. I had not sorted it in while. So I dumped them all out on the floor. Each boys got a jar to sort into. The little ones got pint jars and the older ones got quart jars. They could pick what they wanted to sort out. They just had to stick to all bolt, washers, or nuts for each jar full. Now for the carrot. They got a quarter for each jar they sorted. ( IE change jar LOL) They loved it. They where all talking about how much money they where making. Only cost me $30 to get it all sorted but made the boys happy to have earned money. I did tip them all to make it even out to $5 each. That kept us busy most of the morning.

So with a hard working crew of men like these we need REAL MAN food??? So I took them to town and we ate at the BAR!!! REAL home made Cheese burgers and fresh sliced French fries. REAL FOOD!!! Now real men need BEER with their food so we all got a beer!!! (ROOT BEER LOL) The bar maid got them all mugs and made them all have a big head on them just like a "real" beer would. You should have seen the grins on those boys' faces drinking their "beer" LOL So what do real men do that drink lots of beer??? BELCH!!!! So we trained the new ones in the group how to belch their name!!! My grand sons are well versed in this hanging around their Dad. LOL The youngest lad had the LOUDEST belch by far. So after a hunger settling meal we went back to work!!!

Back to the shop again. I drug in an old junk lawn mower. Rod out the block and transmission with only one gear forward. So we spent the afternoon taking it ALL apart. We had impacts out, hammers , wrenches all the GOOD STUFFF!!! LOL They had a blast taking that old mower clear apart. They all where blacker than the Ace of spades too. LOL

So about 5:30 I made the rounds and drop them all off. My brother's wife had to take pictures of her "dirty" Grand sons. My son laughed his butt off but the DIL looked daggers at me. LOL Off coarse she had four little grease monkeys to get clean. I may have to lay low around her for a while. LOL

All in all I had the most fun I have had in YEARS!!! It was a GREAT DAY!!!

P.S. Thank God I do not have them tomorrow!! LOL

Sounds like a great way to spend the day! Really enjoyed the part about taking them home grubby. Reminded me of a time I bought a WD, and the boys and I parted it out after evening milking. Pretty much gone in one evening.

Now that's the way it was when we were kids. I'm 62 and our grand kids love coming here, riding the gator watching the cows riding tractors etc. when at home they're on xbox and playing computer games. At least when here they get to experience things they don't in town. Doubt many of their friends do. Glad we have this to offer them and they're still onry enough to be boys. They are 8 and 6

my aunt dropped off her two city boys at our farm for the day. My Dad convinced them how much fun it was to ride the hogs. They spent about half the day trying to master riding a pig. When my aunt picked them up that evening, they stunk to high heaven - - boy was she mad!

My oldest boy is 4, will be 5 in August. He helped me finish up the hay wagon I built this weekend. I just had to construct the back so I got it stuck together with a few nails then drilled the holes for the carriage bolts. gave him a hammer to drive them through the boards, then handed him the cordless impact once I had nuts and washers on a few. He loved it. ,

He also gets to go to the feed mill to get grandpa's cow feed every couple weeks. He'll grab the next gag and shake it out while the guy fills the last one he grabbed. He smiles the whole time, plus he gets to ride in dad's truck then...

Donovan from Wisconsin

My oldest boy is 4, will be 5 in August. He helped me finish up the hay wagon I built this weekend. I just had to construct the back so I got it stuck together with a few nails then drilled the holes for the carriage bolts. gave him a hammer to drive them through the boards, then handed him the cordless impact once I had nuts and washers on a few. He loved it. ,

He also gets to go to the feed mill to get grandpa's cow feed every couple weeks. He'll grab the next gag and shake it out while the guy fills the last one he grabbed. He smiles the whole time, plus he gets to ride in dad's truck then...

Donovan from Wisconsin

Jd Seller I read the forum every morning. I enjoy all of your post and have learned a few things or two and respect you opinion. But I have to say this maybe your best post ever. I loved it. I wish I had a day like that with my grandfather when I was little.
Northeast puller

Great, great story -- they'll remember that day for the rest of their lives. They will all want tool sets next Christmas!

Sounds like a great day. My first grandchild is 6 months and I can't wait for him to get older. Thanks for your post as reading it was a great way to start the day on a positive note.Much better than any news station. Tom

JD, You do realize that they are ALL gonna want to come back to work for you. What a positive, memorable experience you afforded them. Great story, and a great way to introduce them to WORKING for money. gobble

Like I tell my wife when we watch the grand kids. WE ARE BUILDING MEMORYS A big pat on the back to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The grandkids are what makes all the aches and pains of being older worthwhile doesn't it? Have spent days like that with my own grandkids, too. Hope they remember those times as fondly as I remember the times I spend with my grandfathers doing stuff like that.

I am looking forward to something similar with my 6 grands, 3 boys 3 girls. I have the 2n Ford my granddad bought new in 1943. When the youngest, 2yrs now is big enough we will restore it. by then the oldest will be about 10.

That's the best post you've ever put up. I can see your events of the day as some scenes in a good movie. Especially returning the dirty but happy kids to their parents.

JD, I don't post much, but alway read your stories. You alway have something good to say. You keep out doing your self, each story get better and better. Great way to keep kids busy. lots of fun. oldiron29

LMAO, Thats awesome. Good Job. You the Man JD.....Thats the kinda stuff they will remember and talk about all there lives.

Very nice day indeed !!!

All I can picture is those little guys going home and telling stories about how Grandpa took them to a bar for beers ! LOL !!!
But in todays messed up world a story like that could get out of hand and get you into trouble. I hope there moms know what really happened.

great story!! Dont forget to teach those youngsters that a IH cyclo planter is junk!!(lol) You need to open a summer camp at the farm,it would help a lot of children

If everyone could take the time to interact with their little ones, like you did today, they would grow up knowing who they are and what they want to be.
SDE

Sounds like a good day. That's the best way to teach how something works, tear it apart.

Reminds me of my cousin and I helping dad service the backhoe once, back in elementary school. He changed fluids and filters while we greased. I wasn't too bad but I don't know how she found so much grease without just squeezing it out of a tube. I think mom probably filled the bathtub with simple green to get her degreased.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back