Small Farm, First Tractor, Do I need Hydraulics?

I am new here, so apologize in advance. I just moved to a small farm in Eastern NC. Currently our farm land is leased out, but we want to take care of it next year. I am retired Navy, not looking to make money, just something to do.

Anyway, looking to probably grow hay, maybe pasture some cows down the road. We have about 30 acres of cultivated land.

I have been looking at tractors online and based on what I see it seems that a Massey Ferguson is a good value for what I can pay.

Looking to spend $5k or maybe a bit more for our first tractor. I am guessing 50 - 100 hp.

Looking for recommendations, based on some disc harrows I have seen, I am thinking I want/need rear hydraulics. Eventually will have a disc, haybine and baler I guess.

Thanks for any input and discussion.

(quoted from post at 08:29:51 06/22/20) I am new here, so apologize in advance. I just moved to a small farm in Eastern NC. Currently our farm land is leased out, but we want to take care of it next year. I am retired Navy, not looking to make money, just something to do.

Anyway, looking to probably grow hay, maybe pasture some cows down the road. We have about 30 acres of cultivated land.

I have been looking at tractors online and based on what I see it seems that a Massey Ferguson is a good value for what I can pay.

Looking to spend $5k or maybe a bit more for our first tractor. I am guessing 50 - 100 hp.

Looking for recommendations, based on some disc harrows I have seen, I am thinking I want/need rear hydraulics. Eventually will have a disc, haybine and baler I guess.

Of course you want hydraulics. A tractor without hydraulics is just a tug.

Yes, you will want hydraulics. You will want power steering, at least one set of remote couplers and live PTO, or better yet independent PTO. You are also going to find you will want a loader soon after you get a tractor. You will be doing yourself a favor if you find one with these options, including the loader, to begin with rather than thinking you can just add them later. Yes your budget needs to increase, but you will be money ahead in the end if you get one equipped. Hopefully there are more selections in your area but 5K around here might find a fair 50 HP, but won't get a 100HP you would want. JMHO

I think you're probably starting to get the idea. Buy the best tractor you can afford. You'll always be glad for what you bought instead of wishing you had bought something better.

Power steering is a must have.

Don't worry about brand, as long as it's a major brand- MF, Deere, Case, IH, Ford, Oliver. Yeah, you want live hydraulics, live pto, power steering and loader if you can get it. Do not fall for the cutesy 8N type "antique" tractor schpeel. Hunt around, make sure the rubber is good, the whole tractor functions right. Might be better to spend a little more and not have to put another $2-4K into repairs/tires.

(quoted from post at 08:29:51 06/22/20) I am new here, so apologize in advance. I just moved to a small farm in Eastern NC. Currently our farm land is leased out, but we want to take care of it next year. I am retired Navy, not looking to make money, just something to do.

Hello,

It would be a bit interesting to know a little more about you as a person. I mean, what are your ideas and thought when it comes to owning and using a tractor. Are you the type of person to repair everything yourself, or as much as possible within the tools you have. Or are you the type of person who need help with absolutely everything, even changing a light bulb, or where are you in between those two outer points of it. The reason for asking is not to pry into your personal life, but some tractors are easy to work on, and others are not. Older tractors are less complicated, while the newer they are, the more complicated they are, and demand more and more sophisticated tools.

Then I should probably not go there, but I see it recommended for you to get a Ford. I mean, you post in the Massey Ferguson forum, you clearly mention Massey Ferguson as something you are looking for, and then some come in here and tell you to buy a Ford, or whatever other brand. I just don't get it. I am not against Ford or anything else, but it looks weird to me. It is like going into a Chevy dealership and loudly recommending them to start selling Toyota instead. I mean, you don't do it, right ?

Now, there are many good Massey Ferguson choices. Excellent tractors, and the MF 165 is a good chioce, so is a MF 265 and 565, all of them fairly easy to work on. The 565 has a more permanent cab, which means they are harder to work on because the cab is in the way. On the other hand, it can be nice to have protection against the weather, so it is advantages and disadvantages with all of them. Then you have the newer MF 300 series too. An MF 165 has around 60 hp. The MF 165 has a minus, the steering is prone to having a lot of play, and it is the weak part of a MF 100 series design (except the MF 135). That said, since it is a weak part of the design, it has in addition often not been lubricated as it should. It is one of those parts of the MF 100 series where you can not forget to maintain. All MF has hydraulics, which as the others here say, you need it. In addition you have the MF 65, which is a bit older than the 100 series, but at least the diesel have about 56 hp or so if I am not mistaken. A very good engine, and the same as in the MF 165, but the 165 has a few more hp taken out of it. It just run and run, easy to get parts for, as goes for the entire tractor. So, if you go for any of these tractors, the steering is something to look out for. Open the front cover to see where the play is. Most of it is repairable, and not too expensive either. The next thing is the planetary gears out on the rear wheels. They are easy to see close to the rear wheel rim. The best is to jack up each rear wheel, and wiggle the wheel and rotate it. Listen for grinding noise just inside the rim at the end of the axle, and also for a clunking noise when the wiggle the wheel. If you are not able to jack them up, grab the top of the wheel and pull and push the tractor sideways and listen for a clunk noise. If you hear that it is a bad sign. So bad that the price needs to be dropped a lot, or you just walk away from it. It is also a thing to pay attention to when driving the tractor, if you can hear noise from the outer ends of the rear axle. Other abnormal noises also have to be noticed, like with any other machinery. But the steering and planetary gears on the rear axle are two areas to pay attention to. The steering is sort of an irritating thing, but repairable for a reasonable cost if you can do it yourself. The planetary gears are far more costly, and it is a thing that is not easy to fix either.

A smaller Massey Ferguson, like a 35, or 135 will have less power, less than 50, but still hydraulics, but also far easier to repair when it comes to the steering and the rear axle, and brakes.

A Massey Ferguson is in general fairly easy to repair, and the parts are not too expensive either, except what I mentioned above. One of the strengths of the MF is that it is easy to repair and maintain. The hydraulics works excellent, but if you want to run outer cylinders the internal pumps are a little on the smaller side so like a log splitter would go a bit slow. It would still work, and if you only use the hydraulics as it is on the tractor, the pump has just the right size and it works as it should.

As with any machinery, at some point things gets worn out. My experience with tractors are that the older ones saw less use, has less hours on the meter, while newer tractors often have a lot more hours. So, sometimes a newer tractor are as worn out as an older one, unless you buy a tractor that is so new that it for that reason have less hours. But then you are talking about a very new tractor.

Bill

(quoted from post at 13:01:06 06/23/20)

Hello,

It would be a bit interesting to know a little more about you as a person. .....

Bill

Thanks for the wonderful post Bill.

I can fix most anything and don't really need much hand holding as long as I can find parts and information to point me in the right direction.

I will take some time and go over your post in detail, again, thanks for posting.

-kurt

One more important thing...What ever you wind up getting, buy all the manuals that are available for it.

PARTS MANUAL
SERVICE MANUAL
OPERATORS MANUAL

AND ANY OTHER MANUALS PERTINENT TO YOUR TRACTOR.

That's always the first thing you do.

A consideration with hydraulics is ' Down force ' . Most early Massey Ferguson's don't have it and it is a real limitation in just what you can do with the tractor . For example a mf35 will lift a grader blade but it's down to the weight of the implement to keep it in the soil . A later tractor with down force will push the blade down to engage , much more effective more many implements and operations.

Some good thoughts posted already but as one mentioned it really depends on what you want to do with it and how efficiently you want to do it. For example, it is kinda cool to pull a 3 or even 4 bottom plow with a MF65, and then run a disc over it, and then run a spring tooth harrow followed by a cultipacker to get a good seed bed. It kinda takes you back to a simpler time and simpler way of life. None of these require more than single or double spool hydraulics which can be easily added if not already on a MF65, MF165 or similar machine. Personally I truly enjoy this approach, but then reality comes in where it simply takes too much time and fuel to do it this way. If you have ample time and fuel to waste, then go ahead if this sounds attractive. Another approach is to acquire more modern single pass soil preparation methods. For cutting and bailing hay there is a similar set of options. One thing to note is that the cost of getting a tractor can easily be less than the cost of getting several implements. I have bought junk and fixed it up (usually repeatedly) as well as new implements. Not sure which one comes out ahead LOL.

I have spent a good deal of seat time on MF65 class machines and personally I wouldn't go smaller on power unless you are in real easy soil to work.

As far as loader, and other attachments that a field tractor was never designed to handle well - personally I prefer a much better tool for the job, like a skidsteer or an excavator. Of course these are all real good ways of disposing of cash that you might not going that way
:D

(quoted from post at 12:48:36 06/24/20)
Some good thoughts posted already but as one mentioned it really depends on what you want to do with it and how efficiently you want to do it. For example, it is kinda cool to pull a 3 or even 4 bottom plow with a MF65, and then run a disc over it, and then run a spring tooth harrow followed by a cultipacker to get a good seed bed. It kinda takes you back to a simpler time and simpler way of life. None of these require more than single or double spool hydraulics which can be easily added if not already on a MF65, MF165 or similar machine. Personally I truly enjoy this approach, but then reality comes in where it simply takes too much time and fuel to do it this way. If you have ample time and fuel to waste, then go ahead if this sounds attractive. Another approach is to acquire more modern single pass soil preparation methods. For cutting and bailing hay there is a similar set of options. One thing to note is that the cost of getting a tractor can easily be less than the cost of getting several implements. I have bought junk and fixed it up (usually repeatedly) as well as new implements. Not sure which one comes out ahead LOL.

I have spent a good deal of seat time on MF65 class machines and personally I wouldn't go smaller on power unless you are in real easy soil to work.

As far as loader, and other attachments that a field tractor was never designed to handle well - personally I prefer a much better tool for the job, like a skidsteer or an excavator. Of course these are all real good ways of disposing of cash that you might not [b:6fe41bce2b]want[/b:6fe41bce2b] going that way
:D

edit above

...you might not [b:6fe41bce2b]want[/b:6fe41bce2b] going that way

(quoted from post at 12:48:36 06/24/20)
Some good thoughts posted already but as one mentioned it really depends on what you want to do with it and how efficiently you want to do it. .....

Thanks Ding, I like a simpler way of life. And I am not in a hurry... Need to find some material to read about farming methods..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back