UD,
I may have some extra 1/4 and 5/16 Williams combo wrenches if you want to complete you collection. No guarantees, but I will look if you are interested.

I agree. To each his own.

Guys frequently complain about one brand or another of tools breaking in use. I've always thought when a tool breaks it says more about the user than the tool.

I've been turning wrenches since I was about 12 on everything from Model T Fords to jet fighter planes and I think I had a socket break once.

Lazy and untrained users can break any tool! Typical are those persons who use a 12 point socket on a rusty fastener which begs for a 6-point and use a 3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter to wrench something off with a 3/8 socket on a 1/2 inch, 24 length breaker bar.

I needed an impact screwdriver for a tough to remove set of screws. Stopped at Lowes, and they had a Craftsman. Bought it for about $22.00. First screw broke the number 8 flat bit. I was able to get the number 10 in the slots and removed them. Since I had just bought it, I still had the receipt and package. Said lifetime guarantee. What the heck, I will try. Went online to Craftsman and filed a claim. They only asked for a copy of the receipt, and apologized for it breaking. I was very explicit in explaining that the screwdriver was fine, just the bit broke. Within two weeks I received an identical complete unopened set. I sorta figured it would be difficult to replace just one bit, but that was the only thing defective. So now I have two of them, just missing one bit. I was very pleased with the guarantee and resolution. Out of curiosity, I did just go to the garage and look at the unopened replacement. Small print on the back says made in Taiwan.

When I had that one from father-in-law I ran into same thing with dealer got it from. So if you buy used no warenty.

When I was working on machinery I needed 4 point sockets, Found an old set at flea market with no name. 1/2 inch drive.

I have them all, and broken all brands except the 1/2 Snap On ratchet. Find a mechanic you know and give him your broken tools for warranty.(buy him a 6 pack)I had a broken 3/8 ratchet and it was old enough that it had been recalled. But I was driving full time and didn't get the message. I call up my old salesmen and told him my problem. The answer was a kit from a 3/8 torque wrench,it fit the old ratchet perfectly. I then traded it for a new Matco.That I broke every week till I traded it back for a new Snap On. 3,8, bent, long handle was great for disc brake work.

Been turning wrenches close to 50 years now. Have a lot of Snap-on tools. Their ratchets never impressed or lasted for me. I have several that i have quit using due to being worn out or damaged. Went to Williams and later Proto and no problems with them. Snap-on tools are good but, i agree they are over priced. When i started years ago i had to buy on credit off the truck that came around once a week. If not for that i would not have many of those tools.

Agreed! Williams is the best of breed IMO. They are a Snap-On company and a lot of the tools are just the last generation Snap-On. Or were, now some of them are Tiawan made but really well made.

I've used most all of the brands made. I have an S-k that the face is gone and the local a hole that warranties them wants me to pay to send them in for the warranty. So I just flip the little lever that is behind the disc deal and it works fine. I buy what ever I find in the pawn shop for brand name stuff and usually try to find
Proto tools and I have a pretty close to full set if Williams 1inch impact sockets in both deepwell and regular. I have a set of 3/4 Proto sockets in both deep well and regular . I buy 6 point sockets and if I have a need to buy a 12 point for a particular job then I go buy a cheap one some place for that job since few things require a 12 point socket. I also have some Mac,Snap-on,S-K and others along with craftsman. Mostly from the older generations of production and look for only the better older styles in pawnshops and tool sales at shows and flea markets. Don't buy many tools new. The same warranty on the used and don't use it much on older tools. I have a snap-on ratchet that has the I-beam type handle on it. I have used it a few times but mostly just stays in the box. I also have a few other odd tools or sets similar to them.

Snap-on tools are great tools. Are they worth the money, probably not. You are paying for the service. If I break a tool on Friday, I can get a new on Monday. Snap-on has a lot of specialty tools that you cannot buy anywhere else. My Snap-on guy has close to half a million dollars invested in his truck and inventory. If I need a 300 dollar tool, I hand him 50 bucks and he gives me the tool, next week I give him 50 or whatever I can afford. No interest. Yes Snap-on tools are expensive, but you are paying for a service, not just the tools. If you make a living with those tools, they might make the difference whether you get the job finished and get paid yourself. I have thousands of dollars worth of tools, all types and brands, not all are Snap-on but a lot of them are.

(quoted from post at 09:47:26 10/20/23) How can anyone be certain that Snap-on tools are made in the U.S.? If you go to Snap-on's website, they show manufacturing facilities in 29 foreign countries, including China.

23 years ago I needed some large 1" drive impact sockets. Snap-on was $5-600 apiece. When I bought one and discovered it was made in Mexico I felt violated, so I switched to Wright. Made in USA and averaging $50 apiece. Today those Wrights are 5-8x higher. Still the same quality, but for similar quality at prices we haven't seen for 20 years, Grey Pneumatic makes a comparable socket, so I buy the GP. Stahlwille is another import that's good quality, but the best in quality and price are the old USA made tools. Low in bling factor but they give you a good feeling when you're operating them.

i have owned all of them at one time or another, the older tools seemed to hold up better than the newer ones. that being said, i prefer the Mac over Snap ON, because snap on breaks, too eastly, but it all depends on how the tool is being used.

Back in the mid to late 1970s, John Deere sold wrenches and socket sets that were badge engineered versions of Triangle Tool Company's Bonney. Some time after that, John Deere changed suppliers and I don't remember who they switched to. The Bonney flat wrenches of that era were easy to identify because they featured V-grooved gullets and the patented Loc-Rite lobed box ends.

I have dads SK socket set he bought from the Gamble store in 1961. Ratchet still works good, sockets still are all good. It's been used for hours. I also have Snap On And Mac. They all work good for me.

I bought my first Snap-On tool from a fellow came by the Shop I managed and wanted to sell for $20.00. I kind of brushed him off as I didn't have any cash handy and told him to come by the next day. He did show up and I bought a real nice 1/2 drive Snap-on breaker bar x 24 long for $20.00 which he claimed was some of his late Fathers tools????It didn't make sense and we finally concluded it maybe was from questionable origin but I didn't know. Why he came back a second day if it was stolen I could never figure out-Great tool in ever respect??

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back