Splitting Allis C

rcfarms

After looking over the ring gear on my allis C from the starter hole I need to replace the gear, I've had several starters that are hit and miss on engaging
the gear and I'm getting too old to hand crank it, so I'm looking for any tips on splitting the tractor and anything else to consider replacing while I have
it apart. I have a shop floor crane. Thanks for any help, Ron

Assuming it is a narrow front? The safest, easiest way to split one is to jack the front up off the ground, then block up the rear half at the bellhousing. After removing what obviously must be renoved to split it use your shop crane remove the front bolster, then remove the engine. If by chance its a wide front you can place blocks between the axle and pivot to keep the engine from falling over sideways. Then unbolt the engine from the bell housing and roll it ahead,, after you have things properly supported front and rear sections of course.

I like to support and suspend the front end/engine as it is the most unstable to be moving and I don't want to be moving it. Then bolt some legs to the bellhousing and put the bottom end of them on a dolly and you can roll the rear end back and it will be fairly safe and stable.

I did my B the same as 4wdtom did only I didn't put the legs on a dolly. Bolt a piece of angle iron to the valve cover bolts and use a cherry picker to lift and move the front. To replace the ring gear I put the flywheel in the freezer and heated the ring gear little before installing and it went right on with a tap of a hammer. Do a search and you should find some videos or illustrations to help you out. just make sure it's all stable when split.

Thanks for all of the tips on separating the tractor, very much appreciated. Is there anything I should consider changing out while the tractor is split for
changing the ring gear? I have a low grinding sound coming from the front of the transmission, and sometime its hard to keep from grinding gears when just
sitting and changing gears and not under a load. Thanks Ron

I had mentioned in my reply that the transmission was making a low grinding noise and hard to shift in gear, would that be a clutch or transmission gear problem? Thank you, Ron

Thanks, In checking the clutch i'm looking for wear but should I just replace everything to be safe?

Also, looking at the parts on here the ring gear is easy but I think I need some help on which clutch parts the many variations listed

the crankshaft has a WICK that drips oil onto the clutch bearing.. That oil gets onto the clutch plates and makes them STICK or DRAG.... many times that is the problem getting the transmission into gear when setting... you push in the clutch and the plates tend to drag and slowly rotate the transmission input shaft. ........ clean plates or new clutch will help.

Thank you for the information on the clutch plate, I might just change it out, but looking at the parts for Allis C clutch plates on this site there are many to pick from, any recommendations on which one? My C is a 1945 #C31085.

I would split it and see what I have. Go to Agco parts books and look up the C parts book. It will have illustrated diagrams of the clutch. I know I'm not much help.

If you are not ready to change the ring gear yet, use this trick. With the crank turn the engine 1/4 turn and then use the electric starter. This gets you to an unused part of the ring geat and works wonders.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back