Starter replacement question

I recently convereted from a 6vlot to a 12 volt system on my NAA.
I had trouble with the starter and had to remove it.It was locked in the engaged position. I brought it into a repair shop and he opened it up for me to inspect it and it was pretty bad.A few wires on the armeture had dislodged and apparrently scored up the windings and he could see that it was apparently stuck on while the engine was running. At any rate I am seeking advice on replacement. Now that the tractor electrical system is 12 volts do I replace it with a 12 volt starter and will that fit?I see them for sale here on YT in both 6 and 12 volt. Also given these circumstances should I replace my current 6 volt selenoid switch with a 12 volt selenoid switch? Are there other recources for replacement starters that are recommended over YT.The shop I brought the starter too said he could repair it with some parts he may have around(no garauntee on performance etc) but that sounded kind of foolish given the circumstances. Thank You in advance for your assistance

" I am seeking advice on replacement"

I wouldn't do that.

Have it rebuilt.

If you do not have a competent rebuild shop close by, give these guys a call for a quote & shipping info:

Automotive Manufacturers Inc
2400 N Lombardy St Richmond, VA 23220
(804) 321-6861

They do mail order work. And they also rebuild clutches, pressure plates, water pumps, alternators, generators, carbs & reline brakes.
75 Tips

Have your original rebuilt..A new one will likely be Chinese , and you'll be replacing it again before long .

nationsstarters.com

As a coinincense...I have, in my shop, a 2001 Dodge Intrepid that is experiencing a build-up of arcing on the solenoid of the starter. Simple fix...just replace the contacts and solenoid "plunger" in those Japanese starters. Cost of parts $36.

Alternative for my costomer: reman starter. Napa quote $175.00. for a re-man starter.

Quote from Chrysler dealership :New starter installed $350.00 with 1 yr. warranty on parts.

Moral to the story: I asked the customer for the old starter in return for doing the research, just in case she decided to take the car to another shop!

So, fix your old one........BETTER QUALITY!

HTH John,PA

6 Volt solenoid seems to be fine in a 12 volt system. I was skeptical, but it's been fine on mine for probably 8 years that way. I guess key is, the solenoid is not engaged for very long.

The proper solution is to have your OEM starter rebuilt with 12V field coils but this will not be cost effective whether it needs a new armature (likely) or not.

I would try to find a used OEM 12V starter from a 134 or 172 diesel.

Dean

if the armature is bad, rebuild will be spendy. as Dean mentioned. find a diesel 4 cyl starter.. it's 12v, and won't be a new chinese import.

the 6v solenoid is fine unless it is stuck engaged.

Just replaced mine with an aftermarket since
that is all you can find (even from new holland
dealer). Dont't think it was OEM anyhow. $115
from amazon. Seems ok for now. I did use the
old 12v solenoid though. The 6v that came with
it had coil resistance between ignition post
and battery post instead of ign. and base.
Don't know if thats a pos. ground thing or not.
It did'nt come with bus to connect sol. to
starter, or mounting screws for sol. and screws
were a different size. No axial mount holes for
solenoid either, only radial.

That included a new drive.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back