Steiger Allison automatic

Sundowneradn

New User
I have a Steiger PTA 310. It has 7910 hours on it.
This has been running great until this year.
The transmission is the issue. Was ripping end rows and it suddenly came to a stop. Reverse will work. Forward didn't three days ago when trying it. Towed it home and then today backed it into the shop. I want to remove the transmission. I tried forward and it did go. So my question is if anyone has experience removing this transmission? What is the best way?
The oil is like new in it , doesn't have a burnt smell.
It was worked on this past summer for adjustments by Case IH dealer. It would jump into forward without moving the lever out of N. Mechanic slowed low idle down on Cummins motor. Put new shift linkage in. Adjusted brakes. Added a little transmission oil. Looks to me as if it is a little over full now.

Transmission center I spoke to in Chicago said to check pressures. Said to look for plug with Main or forward on or next to it and put a gauge on that. I can't seem to find it. And he said to check and it should be 190-200 psi when shifted into forward gear.
So looking for someone with experience in removing or any tips on this transmission.
Thoughts?

Dan in North central Iowa

I read twice you say you tried forward and it DID go. So my question is why pull it now. You need to first do some testing. Since you had shifting trouble last year FIRST thing I would examine is the shifting linkage. I am betting it just not shift to forward. IF the clutch pack (forwards) had dropped an snap ring it would not have moved latter. IF the forward clutches were smoked or burnet you would have smelled it in the oil. What ever you do , do some more checking BEFORE you pull the transmission.

You're right I wouldn't pull it without checking it. Last summer (June) it was In a Case IH dealer. And he did adjust low idle and brakes and did replace the shift linkage which I thought I mentioned in my first post. I'm just wondering what I'm getting into if I have to pull it. It's a thousand pounds.
Also trying to see this plug with forward or main stamped near it to install a gauge. Not seeing it .
So would anyone with experience have the location of this plug. And if they did pull it just how difficult is it and how did they do it?

I had a 325 Steiger that had a lot of clutch problems and Steiger makes a special tool just for the purpose of handling those transmissions. If you have to pull that transmission you will need to remove the
seat from the cab and open up the panel in the floor board. Attach this tool that holds the transmission while you unbolt it from the back of the engine and then it rolls back and you can let it down with the
ratchet winch on this special tool.The transmission will come out between the two halfs at the hinge point. If I remember you will need to turn the tractor to the right to have enough clearance and take it out the left side.

I also had ST325 and did just that with that bridge tool in the cab to hold the transmission while we replaced the rear engine oil seal. Was yours a ST325 or a PTA325?
Thanks for the help.

Mine was the first ST 325 that came into the State of Michigan. Sure hope that you don't have to pull that transmission but it can be done if necessary. Good Luck, Tom

The tranny is not that hard to get out or the drop box. They has to slide the tranny back to get the back seal in my 310. The drop box was out twice, bad gear on center shaft and bad bearings on the center shaft. We pulled it the second time. That was when it went down the road. Found out later, after I traded that the center shaft was not getting enough oil. There was a kit that ran a oil hose to it. It was a good old tractor but the hydraulics were like IH, you hold it to raise. I traded for a 8960 Deere that was a gutless wonder and a 9400 that was a 4 wheel drive 6030 that took all of it's power just to pull it self.

So put a pressure gauge on the two ports I could find. Either port shows 250 psi when in reverse.
When I put it in forward there's no pressure.
The output shaft turns though whether it's in reverse or forward. Sooo.....is there another port to check for forward pressure?
These two are close together on one side of the transmission.

I will be changing filter on this transmission and checking linkage and then run tests again.
It may be a couple days before I can get the new filter and get it installed.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back