Stuck Pin at hydraulic lift arm

N2N

New User
Two questions please:
1. Trying to replace a bent left-hand hydraulic lift rod and fork assembly on 2N. The pin that holds it to the hydraulic lift arm is stuck. I have soaked it with PB Blaster. Banging it with a rubber mallet but there is no room between pin and fender to give it a hard shot. 2 hours later if I have moved it an eighth of an inch I would be surprised. Any suggestions?
2. When I was installing a new right-hand leveling box assembly, I raised the hydraulic lift arms all the way up when I was lining up the holes at bottom of leveling rod fork with the lower lift arm holes. Now the hydraulic lift arms won t go down at all no matter what position I put the hydraulic lift control lever in. Once again, any suggestions?
Thanks very much in advance for any help

Assuming you have your fluid drain try working with small
crowbar or screwdriver from underneath tractor drain hole. I
have freed up many like this without having to drop the pump.
The last one I did a few weeks ago. It was on a 39 and was a
bugger to free up and took sometime. Spray good with blaster
and once freed up if you are going to let the tractor sit work the
3PT handle now and then to keep them from resticking

Thanks Hobo. I see that post and yes that is the same pin location I m fighting with. If it is not loose today after soaking with PB Blaster and sitting overnight, I may resort to the hacksaw and a punch and getting a new pin. Since I have moved the pin enough to get hacksaw behind head of pin on outside of yoke is it okay to saw there? Or do I need to still stay between yoke and arm?
Also, any idea why lift arms suddenly seem stuck in up position and not responding when I raise and lower control lever? Was working fine 2 days ago and, as far as I know, I have not touched anything that would have messed that up

So, following up, PB Blaster worked great, finally got that lift arm pin out without having to cut it.

Second problem (lift arms still stuck in raised position no matter which position I put touch control lever on the quadrant) still exists. I removed right side inspection plate and saw that when I moved the control lever up and down on the quadrant the control lever fork inside the hydraulic lift housing moves forwards and backwards in response. Also noticed that main control spring on outside of tractor behind seat moves the lift rocker (where top link would connect) when I move the touch control lever. Felt around inside the hydraulic lift housing as best I could. I didnt feel anything obviously loose (but considering I was shoving my hand into a confined, blind space wrist deep in hydraulic fluid, I do not pretend to know for sure what I was feeling other than lost). I did notice that it was pretty goopy in the bottom of the housing, like half inch to inch deep. Not thick like grease, but noticeably different than rest of the fluid. Sludgy, like mud on the bottom of a lake. When I pulled some of it out it was not a solid mass, did not hold its shape but made black streaks in the fluid on my hand. After feeling around, I closed plate back up, refilled the fluid I had sloshed out, started tractor, activated PTO, and arms moved like 2 inches down and stuck again. They will now move up and down within that range but no further.
What is next step? If I understood your earlier post, I need to drain fluid and make approach from rear drain hole? What am I trying to free up? Does the presence of the sludge change the plan?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back