super a pto at what rpm does it make 540

b meade

New User
hello, can anyone tell me on a super a, on the normal pto (not the sideways belt pto) at what rpm roughly does the engine have to be running to produce true 540 rpm at the pto. is it pretty much wide open throttle? if so on a stock adjusted engine what is the rpm at w.o.t. thanks in advance
Bryan Meade

If the 540 is a big thing you need a rpm counter to make sure your engine is running full rated speed to get the 540 cause at rated rpms full throttle you will have 540

The Super A engine must turn 1,400 RPM to give 540 RPM at the PTO.

Note: You'll need to adjust the governor to give about 1,500 RPM wide open and no load in order for it to turn 1,400 RPM at full load.

The A PTO has a 17 tooth gear driving a 44 tooth gear. Take the 1,400 engine speed, times 17, divided by 44 and you get 541 for the PTO speed.

I will ad to the info that unless you are working an attachment that is timed or rated do not exceed 540rpm, you can ignore the actual speed and just run it wide open if you are working it. THe mower, or other device is not going to care much what speed it turns as long as it is not 600 rpm +.
(or worse connected to a 1000 rpm PTO. For the most part the fully loaded system will pull the engine down to a close approximation of 540. Jim

Thanks, the reason i was asking is my parents have a pto driven generator that we drive with a 884 diesel, when we first got it, we had to rev the tractor up to about 2100 rpm which is way to high for runnig a generator over night, so we got an adapter and run it off the 1000 rpm pto but are just carefull to make sure the engine is just idleing when we engage it then barely rev it up. that works great on theres. so im thinking of getting a smaller generator for my self and using my super a to run it, but dont want to have to run the engine at wot all night long during a power outage. was just getting a feel for how hard my engine would have to run.

thanks to all who replied, this forrum is the greatest!

Bryan Meade

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back