Super C pedestal repair

mu2

New User
Hi,

The rivets that attach the bolster to the axle assembly on my Super C have lots of play. I think I'm using the right terminology here -
some places refer the front assembly as the pedestal.
I raised the front end to remove a flat front tire and when reinstalling, I notice at least 1/8 of play on the two rivets on the left side.
How can this be repaired? Do I grind out the rivets and replace with bolts? If so, what size and grade.
Thanks.

Mike

The rivets look to be 357126R1, which is obsolete. Roy's Red Iron shows some on hand. No experience with bolts there but I would imagine they would be okay. I would probably go for grade 8 and make sure they are good and tight. You could also find another bolster in better shape.

The rivets that Jim is talking about hold the axle stubs into the pedestal. Is that what you are talking about?

#2 in the diagram below.

mvphoto108169.jpg

Thanks to all that replied.
Regarding the rivets - take a look at this photo of my pedestal.
There is significant play in the rivets.
Also, there is a vendor on ebay that is listing a pedestal that appears to have bolts replacing the rivets. If you search on ebay for item number 325441607596, you will see a photo of the fix.
Right now, I think that's my best option for repair. Anyone have direct experience with repairing it this way - with bolts?

Mike

mvphoto108224.jpg

Ok, looks like I misread the parts diagram.

Looking at that I'd advise that all four of the rivets are probably loose. If two come away, the other two would have to be loose to allow that.

You could replace with bolts but I'd be inclined to heat the head with an oxy-acetylene torch, get it red hot, and smack it with a hammer to re-set it. Back up the rivet from the other side with a large sledge hammer head.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back