TE20 Revival- Update

flatlndr

New User
Well, a month or so ago I posted about reviving my '48 TE20 I've owned for 21 years. I put it away in'13 while working on
other Ferguson projects. My local rebuilder saved the Lucas starter and generator. I've since replaced the water pump,
installed sure seals on both rear axles, and normal tune up stuff to get it running. I actually got it running pretty decent.
Decided to adjust valves and found remnants of a milk shake on valve cover and top of head. Was hoping it was condensate from
sitting so long. No joy in mudville here. Adj. valves, buttoned up and ran it for about 20 min. No smoke, no steam out of
tail pipe, no miss, dry plugs, no antifreeze being forced out of radiator. After shutting off noticed a wiff of smoke coming
out of vent on valve cover. Drained about 7 quarts of green crap that is supposed to be oil. So, long story short, I'm the
proud owner of a very nice parts tractor. I think I'm down to the point of trying some block sealer unless you all have other
suggestions. Don't hold much hope for the block sealer.
Sorry for the long post but had to vent.

Make of Engine.....ie..Continental ????? Standard ???????
Your Location.....???

Bob.....Owner Ferguson TEA-20.......

I used KN(?) KW(?) Blue Devil is also good and there are ones out there currently that are pour in the radiator and keep going.
I used the old style of pull the stat, flush, fill, heat, cool, drain, let completely dry, reinstall stat and refill with coolant.
It left a fibrous membrane behind to seal the cracks.

JD D, z120 continental, NE Ks.
Well, its a wonderment!
Bought some sealer and oil. Cleaned things up as best I could, filled with oil. Made sure rad. was full, fired up and let it get up to temp. with good circulation. This sealer said to just add to rad. with antifreeze. I ran this thing for twenty minutes in shop, watching coolant level. Did not loose any fluid. Took it out and drove it around for another half hour, drove it hard up and down the road 4th gear. No change in coolant level, oil still nice and clear and still at same level. Put it back in shop, let it cool down, rechecked levels, everything ok. Not understanding how so much moisture got in oil as its always been sheded but I'm gonna take the positive and run with it. Its great to have the old girl running again. Kinda like having a kid come home. Will continue to monitor fluid levels closely.
Thanks all.
Tom B

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back