Telescoping Steering - Stuck

Anonymous-0

So I finally decided to see if I can free up the telescoping steering on my 1655. I've owned the tractor for about 5 years and it's been stuck since I bought it. I took the upper unit out of the main body (charlynn style) and have been soaking the entire assembly in PB Blaster penetrating oil for several days. Still cannot get the button to push. I can see that the steel position lock ball is between 2 holes (which, I guess, means the button is already pushed). I've tried to loosen things with a hammer (gently) but it just doesn't want to move. My next step is to remove the 2 pressed-in pins to get the gear off the end so I can get a punch, or something similar, inside to try to hit the inner assembly (again gently). Am I missing something? Any other ideas on how to free it up? I plan to change the upper seal while I have it apart and replace the rubber cap on the steering wheel to keep this from happening again (I hope).
Scott

Try some heat on it When you do get it free put the internal rod in a lathe or drill press and take a file to give aditional clearance. This has worked great to keep it from sticking again

I got it apart tonight. Just a lot of gunk built up on everything inside. Had to fight with every piece I removed. I cleaned everything up, polished what I could, de-burred miscellaneous openings, oiled the bajeepers out of everything and re-assembled. Works like a charm now! On to the next project....1955 speedometer gear and parking brake dash light.
Scott

Did you have to remove the entire steering motor from the tractor? I have 2 that are stuck and need to be fixed. Thanks

No, the motor can stay in place. At the top of the steering column is a threaded cap and a jam collar. You may need to use a hammer & punch to "un jam" the collar, then unthread the upper cap and pull the assembly out. The cleaning can then be done on your work bench. Shop manual is helpful at this point.
Scott

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back