test drove a 300 utility..hmmm....

neilc

The guy says it's a 57 but according to info I've found the 300 was built in 55-56. It's a rough looking old thing but starts right up, shows good oil pressure, goes through all the gears fine and doesn't seem to have any major issues. The PTO seal has a bad leak but other than that it's small stuff. Now I have a question about the hitch and the Torque Amplifier. I can see how the hitch is different from a 3 point hitch but I wonder if anybody that uses this hitch finds it to be a problem. I will probably use it for a snowplow/grader blade and a ground plow in the spring. I noticed it doesn't have draft control, I wonder if that might be an easy upgrade?
As for the Torque Amplifier, I think it works but I am not sure how it works. When I pull the lever back it comes to a point where it pushes the clutch pedal down. The tractor seems to slow down but is that only because the clutch pedal is being depressed or is that a part of the operation of the TA? The owner didn't know how it worked. I will get a manual if I buy this one but I am going to sleep on it tonight. For $1500 I think it's a decent piece to work on and use. Sorry for all the questions, but I am really excited about getting on a tractor again, it's been about 2 years since I owned one. Thanks guys! :)

The Fasst hitch is a great method of attaching implements. It was just not made popular because of the installed base of 3 point systems. There are very usable 3 point adapters for it. No issue.
The 350U has a mediocre draft control system. It could be found and installed in place of the existing system. I would not, it has little sophistication, and is not a superior device.
The TA is out of adjustment. It should not move the clutch pedal. It is working, but asdjustment is needed. It is to be moved into and out of TA with rapid stick movement both ways. Never feather it in, (way not good for it, as it is slipping when doing so, and wears rapidly if not shifted quickly either direction.
It is a planetary gear set that reduces the ground speed by ~33% when pulled back. and is direct drive when forward. It has a dry clutch in it, and a one way clutch to capture torque reaction. Do not coast down hills with the TA back any faster than the tractor would go in that gear. This would be like putting a 4 speed car trans in Low going 60 mph, not good for components. They are very desirable and solid components of a high value tractor.
Steering issues are pretty common on these. Wear, and lack of lubrication if manual steering, especially if used with a loader. There can be 6" of play without worry, but if 1/2 turn, the price should reflect the repair needed. Jim

Hi Dad bought a 300U in Dec of 1957 as 350Us were
not available in late 1957. Our 300U had same C-
175 engine as 350U but no white paint like a 350U.
300U should have had C-169 engine.

T/A, when forward is in direct drive, when pulled
back speed should be reduced and it will free
wheel going down hill. The purpose of T/A was to
give tractor a 20% power increase by slowing
ground speed without stopping to gear down. The
T/A is interconnected to the transmission clutch
and there is a series of adjustments for proper
maintenance. Always pull T/A lever back quickly.

JimB

There is nothing more dangerous than someone who doesn't know how to operate their own tractor.... To themselves, to the tractor, and to everyone in the vicinity...

If you want to know what year it is, get the serial number off the serial tag and look it up in the Serial Numbers pages linked in the left column on this website. Remember, the numbers in the serial list are for the FIRST tractor built in a particular year, not the only tractor. Each tractor has a unique serial number.

FYI they only list 1955 and 1956 numbers for the 300U. Any new tractor bought in 1957 was a leftover.

This helped me adjust my worn TA linkage.
http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=448781&highlight=

look at the picture posted by dean olsen on the next page back.he has the correct plow for a 300 utility.it does not require draft control.the plow is a u-20 model;14 inch bottoms.the top link must be 26 1/2 inches,the leveling crank at 5/8 below level line.MARK

yeah I've read about the steering issues and was nervous about it but it steers really nice for a manual box and there is hardly any play in it. I found a few good links about the tractor since my last post, that TA sounds like a pain maybe but looks like I'm gonna give it a try. a left over 57 makes sense, I'll check the numbers maybe tomorrow. thanks guys, I'll keep you posted :)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back