The Blackberry Control Thread

farmersamm

Well-known Member
Well, it's a journey I guess(sigh)

In another thread I laid out the current situation.

Two products used: Crossbow, and Remedy.

Sprayer mix: 2oz. of product per gallon of water.........with 2oz. nonionic 80/20 surfactant (NOT DISH SOAP)

Where I went WRONG: I used Crossbow, which contains 2-4-D. I had expressed some doubt about it, but for the wrong reason. I was concerned about the Triclopyr smaller concentration (30%), compared to Remedy.

WHY I WAS WRONG IN A NUMBER OF WAYS


The important takeway...................2-4-D doesn't do much to blackberries(in general, it doesn't work on woody plants), and......TRYPLOCYR ACTS TOO FAST. You need those leaves to stick around for a while. Both chemicals kill the top growth too fast.

I can save the chemical I've purchased for other applications.........but the Remedy/Crossbow stuff is out of contention. I need to get some Cimarron, or Chapparal.
 
Last edited:
I should note................. We never had a Blackberry problem until the wildfire came through in 2011/2012. It started creeping in at that time.
 
I had a lot of it here along with thistle. In the edge of the woods was wisteria, English ivy and a thousand others. Triclopyr at 2 oz has been good to me if I see a problem starting. I went a little stronger my first application a few years ago before the place was under control.
 
I had a lot of it here along with thistle. In the edge of the woods was wisteria, English ivy and a thousand others. Triclopyr at 2 oz has been good to me if I see a problem starting. I went a little stronger my first application a few years ago before the place was under control.
My problem is time. I'm 70, and things are starting to go South. I don't have the years to do repeats if something fails.

The Cimarron is pretty reasonably priced.

s-l500.png




It may look fairly pricey, but if something else takes multiple applications, and has somewhat limited success...........it's fairly cheap I'm thinking.
 
That's interesting. I have had good results with crossbow. Works best in late September - early October when the blackberries are pulling sugar down into the roots. I especially like one called CrossRoad which uses the lower volitility form of 24D. But I'm in a very different climate than you are.
 
This old thing has been sitting under the trees for about 30yrs. Need to see if the tank still holds water, and whether the pump, and valve, still work. This is all we have to work with on this mess. I've only used it for maybe a coupla weeks I guess in all the time I've had it.

chem1.jpg

chem2.jpg
chem3.jpg
chem4.jpg

Bought the thing at auction on the Front Range in Colorado..........back when all the little guys were going under. Just about everything on the place, initially, was hauled in from those auctions. Seems like ages ago. I believe it set me back maybe $250. Things were bad back then.

The wheels are on a 20' spring tooth, need to pull them off that, and dig this ol' gal out of the dirt, and put 'em on.

If everything still works, probably only thing needed is a high pressure spray gun.

For you guys that are skeptical about Van Sickle paint.................................30yrs..........there ya go.
Ithankyou (1).gif
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top