The debate rages on

Years ago states use to regulate the weight and size of commercial trucks.
What was good in one state did not work in others.
To standardize truck rules the federal government stepped in and forced all states to allow
53' single trailer
102" wide trailers
Twin 28' pups
And no overall length limit
Some states were not happy but you gota do what the feds say if you want their money.

Now the new transportation and housing spending bill has a provision to allow twin 33' trailers in all states.
Here we go again with the states complaining about safety; and trucking companies preaching reduce fuel consumption and less drivers needed.

We use twin 28' trailers where I work.
With this set up and no sleeper on the truck we are at about 70 feet long.
The twin 33' trailers will add 10' to our length making us about 80 feet long.
And we do not use sleepers. For the big road trucks with double bunk sleepers they are gona be 85+ feet long.

The trucking companies must think this bill will pass as it is; because I have already seen new 33 foot trailers arriving at some of the bigger yards. Our company has told us these are for city single trailer use only but you can see they are set up to run double with pintle hooks and air line hookups already installed.

So watch for new 33 foot double trailers coming to a town near you in the not to distant future.
33 Foot Double Trailers Allowed in New House Bill

John most of the tri-axle bull racks are already right at 80 feet anyway. The issue is there is more and more truck freight with fewer drivers. So some thing has to give.

The truckers in my area drive as bad as the idiots in compact cars. I hate to see any truck pulling twin trailers of any length. I couldn't begin to count the times I've been run off the road by a truck changing lanes.

Yes something does have to give.

A while back there was a big push for triples nation wide.
People were complaining about the length.
Seen plenty of studies that show dog legging of triples is less than a 53.
The studies were done to see how bigger trailers would fit on the roads we have today.

I think these twin 33 footers is a compromise rather than going to triples.
This will only effect people like me that pull light weight doubles as the gross weight will not change.

The only thing I hate about pulling triples is you know it before you ever arrive at the yard.
You arrive on a yard on the weekend with no yard driver and you might have to break down 3 sets to get your 3 trailers.
One big reason I do not miss going out west anymore.

I used to load construction equipment (disassembled) into shipping containers hauled by trucks to the docks. Most of the "real" American drivers were great, no problem being tight and square to the dock to slide stuff in. Now, on the other hand, MOST, not quite all of the foreign drivers were TERRIBLE! Even with a 40' wide dock, straight lines painted 75' out from the dock, and hundreds of feet to maneuver, they could even get close to the dock. Let alone square and tight. An inch is a lot when you are using a loadall to push PC200 excavator parts into a 40' container. Tilt the upper structure and the entire lower frame/track frame (tracks off) and weld a frame under them so they set at a 45 degree angle, and then shove them in. Barely fit. It was so hard to try to communicate with the foreign drivers that didn't know a word of English, and try to get them to figure out how to get the truck in the right place. Even had to back a few of THEIR own trucks to our docks. I don't understand how these guys can even get a CDL, especially not knowing how to speak the correct language that should be used here. These guys are not ALL of the truck drivers that give all CDL holders a bad name, but in their own group, they certainly take the cake. I drive truck for a living, different things all the time, but varies between a tandem dump, a 40' tanker, a 38' end dump, and a set of double log trailers on the weekends that consists of a 30' lead and 28' pup. I feel I would have no trouble with a set of 33' doubles.

Ross

In Montana triples are allowed on the interstates (90 and 15) in good weather, over all length limit of 105 feet. Doubles are limited to 95 feet overall, no restrictions because of weather. I haven't kept up really well, it might be more than this by now.

Yeah, 2 x 53' very common here. Also starting to see more B train twins with a 53' van tagged on the back....they are long.

I know nothing about truck driving. Far and away I see them as good drivers around here, good folk.

I would think doubles, much less triples, would be a real handful on our icy roads in winter up here.

Paul

Right or wrong, we can not afford 48 sets of totally separate state truck rules. There was a time not too many years ago when trucks could not pull 50ft trailers through Iowa. We are fighting to keep our jobs in America and silly rules installed by little bureaucrats in each state, dreamed up mainly just to justify their jobs, do nothing to help us stay competitive in the economic world.

What ever the rules are, 28 ft or 33 ft, 53 ft or what ever, they need to be uniform across the lower 48 states.

I remember some of the rules when 53' trailers became popular.
Washington- stop at port of entry to get permit, cost 5 bucks
Utah- phone port of entry before entering state, then get permit at scale house
Mass- must be marked at corner of trailer, 8" tall numbers, placed so trooper can read while conversing with driver at driver's door.
Maine- phone ahead, wait at scale house for permit by fax

Wyoming-all trucks stop at port of entry, go inside & show permit book, tell clerk type of cargo, destination & route, get printout permit to place in windshield.
Just picked up new atlas, 2016 version. Retired in 02, but interesting to see rule changes.
Willie

Considering almost all Federal Roads are at least 4 lane Interstates I don't see the big issue,passing one long truck is no different than passing two shorter ones.Its one country with trucks going all over so it'd be totally unworkable to have different laws in every state.

The feds have to do something to make long haul trucking look better than rebuilding our railroad infrastructure. Long haul trucking is a woefully inefficiecnt means to move goods long distances. Railroads can move more tonnage longer distances one less fuel with a better safety record. Where we need to push our government is to rebuild the railroad so we can get some of these traffic clogging trucks off the road.

With the shortage of qualified drivers, how will the freight get moved unless the good drivers pull a lot more? As in doubles and triples. Keep in mind too that most drivers with seniority will turn doubles and triples down.

The age of long haul trucker as a profession is about to end.

Self driving trucks will be here before we know it.

https://medium.com/basic-income/self-driving-trucks-are-going-to-hit-us-like-a-human-driven-truck-b8507d9c5961

There are all sorts of different requirements for different states. Some allow more than federal regulations while some allow less.
The so-called standardization is referred to as STAA dimensions. As already stated, states have to allow trucks of STAA dimensions on their interstate highways.
The 33-foot trailers have been in use around here as city singles for at least 15 years. I don't see what the fuss is about.
New York and Massachusetts allow double 48-foot trailers on their toll roads, with maybe even double 53-footers allowed. But, they have to be permitted and broken down before leaving the highway.
I have seen many triples in many Midwestern states, but usually only on the toll roads.
Railroads are efficient at moving large quantities of material long distances, but quick or even timely service is not part of their vocabulary.
Most of the arguments about safety are just so much bluster. No matter what it is, any change in status quo will be supported by some and opposed by others. That is the nature of change.

The problem with rail is it takes too long ti deliver and still needs at least 2 trucks to complete the run. Not all freight can take 3 weeks to go from the coast to chicago.

I don't think this was legal in all the states I drove through between Indiana and Florida for three years but I was never stopped even by several cops who passed me on the many highways. HOWEVER I have since discontinued the double tow practice and just tow my pickup now with the golf cart in its bed. Yes I have a good auxiliary braking system on the truck when towing.

John T
a198773.jpg

a198774.jpg

Certain highways in western Canada allow twin 53foot trailers,mainly both tandem trailers with a tandem converter under the second trailer, but sometimes both trailers are trple axled, which makes for 10 load bearing axles. Doesn't seem to be an issue, as the only highways that allow them are twinned, not to interstate standard, but twinned (and they allow farm equipment on them too for the most part). We've had b-trains here for years, usually a lead 32foot and a 28ft behind with five axles, 3 under lead with 5wheel and two under following trailer.

One of my college jobs around 1970 was loading trucks in a (McClean) warehouse. They were based in VA, and could run 45 foot trailers in other states, including WI. MN was at 40 feet. Sometimes they"d sneak into MPLS with a 45 footer, and it stuck out like a sore thumb at the warehouse...literally! Now we think nothing of 53 footers.

Do you have B-Trains? By far the most common twins here are B-Trains. Lead trailer is a tri axle with 5th wheel mounted on the back frame of the trailer. The A-Trains use a dolly converter, so one more pivot point.
The B-Trains run all over, even in the towns and cities. Max GVW is 62,500 kg (137,500 lbs). Very common to see fuel deliveries at city gas stations with B-Trains.

Just because you got away with that didn't make it safe. I've seen more than a few rigs not as rediculous as that piled up and blocking traffic. There is no way that hookup was anywhere near safe.

(quoted from post at 06:27:20 08/20/15) I'd like to see any state it was legal.

It was the topic of a thread about three years ago. At that time the consensus was that it is legal in most states, but not all. It is just one of the privileges granted to motor home owners. I saw one at about that time in a neighboring state. It was motor home followed by box followed by boat. I am pretty sure that it was not legal in that state, but he was on the opposite side from his state of registration.

In SD most large farmers are running 2 40' to 42' hopper bottom trailers most have pusher tag on tractor and run triple singles on trailers and 2nd fifith wheel they can scale about 2200 bus of corn with light trailers

Here in Oregon, you are allowed triples on interstates and select state highways. The part that got to me is, You can only pull triples when road conditions are good. The dispatch sends you out with triples, (conditions good) and 150 miles down the road it gets foggy. Time to find a terminal to drop the third trailer. You get close to that terminal and all is clear. Hammer down and 20 miles later the fog is back. Its the drivers responsibility, but the dispatch pushes you out no mater the forecast.
I don't miss that job.
Tim in OR

(quoted from post at 03:56:58 08/20/15) Considering almost all Federal Roads are at least 4 lane Interstates ....

All 'Federal Roads' are at least 4 lane? Really?? Uh, U.S. routes in America are mostly two-lane highway -- thousands of miles of road. US-Route-50, US-Route-40, US-Route-30, etc.

(quoted from post at 11:45:59 08/21/15)
(quoted from post at 03:56:58 08/20/15) Considering almost all Federal Roads are at least 4 lane Interstates ....

All 'Federal Roads' are at least 4 lane? Really?? Uh, U.S. routes in America are mostly two-lane highway -- thousands of miles of road. US-Route-50, US-Route-40, US-Route-30, etc.

Yes, designation is US whatever, has no bearing on Traditional Farmer's statement. All the rest of us know that he is referring to the interstate system.

Dennis, I know the MN highway patrol is running checks on drivers phones in any accident that involves serious injury or death. Phone companies get presented with a search warrant and hand over the phone records. They can tell what the last activity was.

I do agree that the penalty should be the same as DUI. They are killing a lot of folks that way.

Regarding radios: When I was a kid my dad preached that people should use their presets and shouldn't change stations while driving. When 8 tracks came out he swore up and down that people were going to get killed because of them.

Rick

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back