The Future of Our Great Hobby - PLEASE READ!!!

MM ZAck

I’ve enjoyed the tractor hobby for a long time. I was 15yrs old when I bought my first tractor (’39 JD H) and I was already a member of the Oregon Two-cylinder Club. At that time, I was one of the youngest guys involved. Fast forward to the present – I’m now 32yrs old and I’m still one of the youngest guys involved. When I’m at shows, pulls, auctions, and other events, I see a lot of grey hair. In my area, I can only think of a handful of young people who are involved with antique tractors. I’m sure this is similar in other regions of the country. Here’s the thing, I would LOVE to see this wonderful hobby passed from generation to generation before these folks pass away completely. I would also like to see more young people involved that would not only secure a future for the hobby, but give the youth of today a tangible hobby again, rather than waste their time in front of a computer playing games.

I am currently working on a project to address this concern. My idea is to create a reality TV show that is centered on young people and tractors. The idea is to show modern use for old machines (such as tractor pulling), auctions, “retrieval missions” (the thrill of the hunt), and maybe a little restoration. It must be presented in a hip, cool, pop culture sort of way. I would also like to include an educational aspect to the show with physics or psychology. Imagine American Chopper meets Myth Busters – the cool, funny entertainment mixed with a little real world knowledge. I would like to draw young people in who are not from an agricultural background. The idea is to create the same excitement in young people that we have enjoyed for years.

I have seen the tractor shows on RFDTV. They are BORING for young people and I ended up canceling the channel because I couldn’t watch them anymore.

A little background about who I am:

My name is Zack Peterson. I live in the Portland area of Oregon. I did not grow up on a farm but did grow up outside of town. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, am a certified Auctioneer, and recently I’ve been certified by Monster.com’s Making It Count program as a Motivational Speaker. I was obsessed with John Deere growing up, but have grown very partial to Minneapolis Moline. My dad and I have a great collection of Moline tractors. I find so much joy in this hobby that I can’t even begin to describe it. My wife sometimes thinks I’m crazy because of the lengths I’m willing to go for these old machines. We would like to have children soon and would love for them to have the opportunities within this great hobby that I have had.

I, along with my friends, believe we have a lot to offer the community. You might have heard these names – Jake Winn, Mark Parker, and Bryan Koskela. Together we gallivant across the land going to auctions, shows, looking for tractors and we have an unprecedented amount of knowledge of old tractors for people our age – all brands.

My goal is to have a pilot TV show to pitch to a major network before June 1st.

I would like a few things from the tractor community:

How many young people (say less than 35 yrs old) can you think of that are involved with tractors?

What are your thoughts about a show like this?

Are there other projects out there to pull young people into this hobby? (no pun intended)

Thank you to those who took the time to read this,

Zack

Zack- I understand where your coming from on this. I am only 26 years old myself and I rarely deal with people my own age on this stuff. Alot of people our age are in the technology industry, and its their choice. I guess I really have no clear cut answer on how to get people "into" something that either you enjoy or you dont. I totally agree with you on the lack of excitement the RFD shows bring to the table, especially any show that Kurt Aumann does NOT have anything to do with (PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK KURT!!) If you want to shoot me an email on your ideas, its open...I then can mull your ideas over as well and see what I think. One request though--If you do get something on its feet, dont make it corny, and please dont focus on John Deere- they have marketed themselves as the "only brand" to all average Americans. You would have to show all the other colors to show people theres more to life than green and yellow.

When I go to the Iowa state fair every time I am their I go to the 4H and FFA exhibits and look at their restored tractors there is at least 20 tractors redone to see.So their is some youth that have interest in our passion.

I teach a class where we overhaul and sometimes paint these old tractors. I am lucky enough to stumble onto a couple projects myself and am hooked. i am 31 and see a great interest in this class but have very little support for these classes from our guidance counciler who sets up the schedule. With todays new standards its hard for these type of elective classes that in my opinion would help some of these kids a lot more than the fourth year of math or science or social studies. The hands on courses are really hurting to get kids that need these kind of classes because lets face the facts. 4year college degrees aren't for everyone. I wish we would get back to teaching some of these kids some skills again in school. Anyways i would love to see more opportunities for the younger crowd. I'm in!!

I agree, we need to get young people involved. Last year the club I belong to started a Under 21 Club. We had over 20 young people join and show items at our summer show. Our fall show was rained out( over 6" rain first night of a 3 day show, showgrounds flooded) so we didn't get to find out how many would have shown up for the show, but the interest was good and we are going to try to expand it this year. Check us out at
ae-ta.com
Chris

Well, I wish I could help more. I am 33 and have loved these old buckets of bolts since I was a kid, and even though I am selling my cows and moving to more of a town type of job, my love of tractors will come with me.

I think it will be an uphill battle to get a show that is what WE would want it to be, but don"t let that discourage you! My wife can attest that I get way too excited if I see a tractor on TV, usually just in the background. Maybe you need to start with younger kids first, since little boys seem to always like tractors?

Good luck,
Jake

Zach,
What a great idea!! Here on the east coast, it's as you said, there are not many young people getting involved in the antique tractor fun! I am a 47 yr old woman who grew up in the Wash. DC suburbs but transplanted well! In my case, I first sat on an antique tractor when I was about 32 yrs old. We work and play with Olivers and have even restored a few.
I have a few ideas - maybe you'll like them maybe not. Regardless, I think it's great what you're trying to get off the ground and I hope a lot of people see your post and start throwing ideas your way.
* A possible angle for your show could be the fact that antique tractor pulling, showing and restoration can be a family tradition. There are some members in our clubs that consist of entire families.
* How about featuring a few young pullers and follow them through the season then bring them together for a final year end competition, obviously it would have to be a regional thing to allow for the year end comp.
* A another idea, go the rural high schools, FFA (or maybe even 4H) to see if there are any young people interested in entering into a national restoration competition to be followed from start to finish. Because restoration can be expensive, could also see about national ag sponsorship!
Don't forget about the "girls", there are some of us that love these old beauties as much as the guys and when it comes to pullin' we're every bit as competitive!
Good Luck with this project and I hope you keep us all posted with progress reports. I look forward to hearing more about this in the future.
Liz

My mailing address town has a population of about 650. We have a high school with a very active FFA and right now a pretty good instructor to go with it. If you currently walk through the high school shop, you will see 6-8 antique tractors in various stages of rebuild. This coming summer they will be shown at the county fair and after that the state fair.
IMO, there is no better way to get the kids involved in antique tractors than that.

I don't know. It's a hobby,not a business. Either you have the interest in a hobby or you don't. Just that simple. You try to make more of it than it is,it's like paying amature athletes. Guess maybe I'm too much of a purist,but you can't force pleasure.

I being 38 will say this I do have a love for this stuff but at our age you have kids that pull you in a direction away from this and taking care of kids and what comes with starting family and early career you do not have time and money to put in. I look back at my parents when they were my age and where they are now financially and it is night and day. When you have kids you will find you just do not have the time you would like to put in this and this is why you do not see as many young people at these shows. Older people are DINKS normally this stand for Double Income No Kids.

I guess from the comments here I am one of those younger "hobbiers" at the old age of 34. I would agree with the frustration of RFD TV, I don't own any horses (thats another issue)They have more shows for those money pits than anything else..... Back to the subject I would agree that the focus needs to be other than John Deere. I remember seeing a show on Speed that had groups of students building dragsters, and then racing them against each other. I would love to see a couple FFA, VOTECH schools or 4-H going at it with comporable tractors.... I bleed Clover White, but at the house I have an allis, cockshutt, and a farmalls is coming this summer. Oh yeah and an Oliver!!! I would love to help if you could use a 30 something overweight balding pilot.

I think its agreat idea,something I have thought about for the last two years.If you need a midwest connection,let me know.One idea is to show antique tractors competing against newer japanese made tractors.Would john deere cancel advertising to rfd?Also include people that didnt grow up on a farm.Iam 35 and have a huge fascination with quality made American made tractors.RFDs tractor show is very hard to watch.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back