thread sealer

So, what do you fellows use to seal the threads on the fuel shut off/sediment bowl where it screws into the gas tank? I've tried several different things with no success.

I've had better luck lately with the liquid Teflon, or Teflon in a tube. Even more so when trying to seal pipe threads on plastic fittings.

Beagle

Gasoila. Whatever you use, the threads have to be perfectly clean and the sealant must cover all the threads. The sealant must be speced as petroleum resistant.

One thing you gotta keep in mind is liquid products have a cure time before they can seal. With that being said the surface must be dry before being assembled.

I remember helping somebody trying to seal up an elbow fitting at the bottom of a fuel tank on a 4020. Using liquid sealant didn't work because we didn't want to have to drain all the fuel out of it. Then we tried using teflone tape but we ended up cracking the fuel tank fitting (that's a whole another story).

(quoted from post at 21:40:34 05/31/23) So, what do you fellows use to seal the threads on the fuel shut off/sediment bowl where it screws into the gas tank? I've tried several different things with no success.

Make sure you apply it in the direction you are going to thread it. petroleum resistant ,CM

I'll second the Gasoila. Just bought a small can to try to fix the leak on the gas line/shutoff valve. I did it about 3 years ago and it held for a couple of years but started leaking again this winter. I think the fittings are all worn out, but a new shut off valve is around $250.

Tim

Assuming it's a tapered pipe thread, Loctite Thread Sealant with Teflon, or an equivalent from another maker would be my first choice.

Second choice would be a good gasoline-rated pipe joint compound in conjunction with wicking in the male-thread groove.

I use Gasoila first,wrap with teflon tape(to fill the worn threads)and coat of Gasoila to finish it off. I hand tighten as tight as I can, and only use a wrench to clock it where it needs to be.

No-1 Permatex Form-A-Gasket Sealant-- In a tube, hard setting. Drain gas tank; dry-up.. Clean threads in tank and threads on the sediment bowl. Coat threads, turn into tank hand tight; line up gas-line, let cure; the sealant will get hard.. Seals gasoline; permanent. Has worked great for years...

GASOILA E-SEAL is great stuff for sealing the Sediment Bulb NPT male thread to gas tank with. Must be completely dry to apply and let set for 3 or more days B4 use. Avoid using on Valve Stem or any other internal parts. Avoid Teflon Tape and pipe dope. Tape can beak off and pieces get trapped in carb. Tape is only a Band-Aid temporary fix anyway so fix it right the first time. Do you want to trust your bandaid for a possible fuel leak??? Most leaks are due to Valve Stem seal being chewed and worn. Get a new one, a $6 part, and replace. No need to replace entire SED BULB. The Valve Stem is the only wear part on the setup.

F5ZTvOvl.jpg

Tim Daley (MI)

250 bucks for a shut off valve ??? What tractor are you working on and is it gold plated? It isn't the fittings that wear, it is the rubber or the cheaper vinyl 'seal' on the Valve Stem that gets chewed up and causes the leaks. I once was working on a customers' 8N FORD and he wanted me to put a new Sediment Bub Assembly on. I tried to tell him he didn't need the whole assembly, a $25 part, only the Valve Stem, a $6 part, but he insisted so he supplied the Bulb. Well it was a cheap Cheena made POS and the NPT threads were boogerd up, used metric or JIS or DIN or something and the part cross threaded the gas tank orifice. My fix was GASOILA. That was in 2003 and to this day it still holds up. The Valve Stem is the only wear part on the assembly and only part requiring periodic replacement. Put a dab of Red Loctite on the 8-32 screw that secures the Valve Knob on with. That'll ensure the knob doesn't loosen up and fall off in the field. Use GASOILA E-SEAL if SED BULB NPT male end (shown with protective cardboard cover) shows leaks.

FORD N-SERIES SEDIMENT BULB & VALVE STEM:
5kg5WXLl.jpg
m1VbxJCl.jpg
aqzi5fJl.jpg
SC9Vznll.jpg

NOTE WORN SEALS:
QoHg4qfl.jpg

GASOILA E-SEAL:
F5ZTvOvl.jpg
USE ONLY ON SED BULB NPT THREADS

Tim Daley (MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back