time for roundup??

INCase

need to kill some grass in the drive and a few other areas around the buildings.

how soon can roundup be applied and work? this is in North East Ohio so obviously we're not applying it in the snow right now but is early April too soon? Late April?

Thanks.

(quoted from post at 15:02:30 03/07/23) need to kill some grass in the drive and a few other areas around the buildings.

how soon can roundup be applied and work? this is in North East Ohio so obviously we're not applying it in the snow right now but is early April too soon? Late April?

Thanks.

Roundup works best when it's warm and there's good moisture so the target weeds are actively growing.

Are your local conditions like that now?

Roundup only kills what is actively growing. Make sure any targeted weeds are up and going for the season. Anything still in the ground at the time of application will not be affected.

My theory? If its growing it'll die and the harder its growing the harder it will die. If its green it will work...maybe not the best. Something like chickweed is even green under the snow. I used to spray over my asparagus field as late as I could in the fall, maybe after Thanksgiving. To kill the grass and not get the asparagus.

Probably about the first time you cut your other grass with your lawn mower would be a good time. No need to do it before. Might just be wasting your spray. Especially doing it now (this early).

One of the very first things in the manual you have to study to become a certified pesticide applicator is, READ THE LABEL.

I am not a certified applier , but I do have a basic understanding of some herbicides. And first you should identify just what plants you wish to eliminate. As has already been stated ,herbicides like Roundup or a board leaf spray like 24D only are effective on activily growing plants. Roundup is non selective herbicide and will kill/damage any growing plant it is sprayed on. Where as 24D will only kill broad leaf plants , leaving grasses unharmed. You can add other residual herbicides to your Roundup like Atrazine and achieve a longer lasting kill. The Roundup takes out whats there when you spray and the Atrazine helps to kill off the plants that germinate later. Naturally a weed wackier will knock back plants growing near buildings too, lol

If cool weather some broadleafs may not being going by the first mowing. Make sure all targeted weeds are actively going to the point where they have leaves to take in the herbicide. The OP said he had particular plants that he wished to kill. If he has not to this point established that Roundup will kill them then he should do so ahead of application. There are any number of websites that anybody can go to as to find out what Roundup will kill or not kill. A secondary herbicide may be necessary for his job.

Atrazine is a restricted herbicide at least in New York. Joe Homeowner would not have access to it here. Assuming that the OP has never done this before then he should read up on Roundup before doing this job.

thanks

mainly just killing the grass in the driveway so we won't have too many weeds coming back thru once we put down new stones

but we want to get that project going soon as possible so the reason for the question on how early.

Atrazine is restricted by the EPA as a possible ground water hazard. You have to be certified to buy and use it.

The problem is the label can change by the time you get around to using it. In the class i was at last week they tell you to look up the latest label on line. I know that dicamba label has changed several times on me. The good thing is round up is not restricted...yet!

Down here.... the nights are in the mid to high 60s as a low temp... so summer grasses are growing now. Early spring/fall weeds are already peaked. Mesquites have starting leafing out, and the other trees are not too far behind. twas a very warm winter with only a couple of two hour freezes. Bugs gonna be bad this year. So yes we can spray for the summer plants now in most cases. Huesache (sp) still requires spraying in Aug.

Doesn't matter of it's a RUP or not, the first rule is read the label, or labeling if the info you want isn't on the label.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back