Disappointing afternoon

super99

In December I bought a 1971 Oliver 1655 gas on auction. I replaced the distributor cap and put a new inline fuel filter on it and the few times I've ran it around the barnyard, it ran great other then being awful cold blooded. Beautiful February day, near 70 °, so I put the 3pt carrier on it and drove to the south end of the farm to pick up sticks in some new seeding. Ran great all the way down there but as soon as I stated picking up sticks it started sputtering, it died a couple of times and wouldn't run without the choke out, bucking like a bronco. I shut it off a few minutes and then it started and ran good for a little bit and started doing it again. Unloaded the sticks where I was going to burn them and started home, almost made it before it started in again. I figured I'd have to clean the carb but now looks like the gas tank needs to come off and get cleaned out too. Yes, there is crap in the sediment bowl. Just another day here in paradice!

Waking them up from a bit of a sleep can take a bit of coffee. if not some cough drops. I was mowing one time when the IH 350 U decided to do that every 5 minutes. It got old very quick. Back to the garage and drained the tank through a triple layer of cheese cloth. into a clean bucket. I actually made a 1/2 funnel to allow the drainage to get into the bucket and not down the side of the tractor. There was 1 cup of flakey trach in the tank. (It drained down to a single point, so 98% was removed. I poured the same fuel back in it and that made the rest of the day much better. Good luck. Jim

I have had good luck siphoning into a nearly clear plastic bucket. Siphon gas and crap out- siphon clean gas back in.

Neighbors 1655 gas I've had to remove the carb twice in years past when trash gets past the sediment bowl and plugs the back side of the float valve brass seat, he knows right away when it happens as tractor won't pull anything and if he's lucky it will barely idle.

Like Dieseltech said, that little cavity under the needle valve is where to look. When you clean it, have the blow out go on a paper towel. Cleaned the tank on a 730 Case using an end brush with a 18" extension and a drill, then vacuumed it out. Saved me taking the tank off.

Like Dieseltech said, that little cavity under the needle valve is where to look. When you clean it, have the blow out go on a paper towel. Cleaned the tank on a 730 Case using an end brush with a 18" extension and a drill, then vacuumed it out. Saved me taking the tank off.
Be careful when using a vacuum to clean a gas tank. The electric motor will ignite the fumes and blow up. Consider yourself lucky.

I watch several car shows on tv where they pull a car out of trees or barn and try to get it going. One hint they used on old tank was to put several inline filters in series . The first one plugged up, just remove it , and so on. Just be careful of hot exhaust. joe

I watch several car shows on tv where they pull a car out of trees or barn and try to get it going. One hint they used on old tank was to put several inline filters in series . The first one plugged up, just remove it , and so on. Just be careful of hot exhaust. joe
No idea why the cardboard inline filter wouldn't work on my Farmall C
I bought the red round filter used on lawnmowers. It is just a screen filter.
That worked just fine.
20210621_094034.jpg

If the fuel lines are rubber that option works great but a lot will be metal. Screen as part of the sediment bowl that sticks up into the tank is usually the best bet at that point

No idea why the cardboard inline filter wouldn't work on my Farmall C
I bought the red round filter used on lawnmowers. It is just a screen filter.
That worked just fine.View attachment 7172
Had a similar problem with a Case 300. When the fuel tank was below 1/4 full it would start acting up. Took the filter off and problem went away. Apparently too much resistance to the flow when pressure is reduced.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back