Tire rotation

JimDRIl

Had my Avalon in for an oil change, and they rotated the tires. The left rear had gone down 3 pounds recently, but had stabilized and not lost any pressure for the last ten days. Where would that tire been rotated too, right front? I want to monitor that tire in the future.
Is it worthwhile rotating tires? It used to be free with the oil change, but no more. 29 bucks extra.

I have come across two different methods for tire rotation--either just a clockwise movement or X movement--ask your dealer what he did----don't you have tire pressure sensors that tell you the pressure? rotation is good but at $29 I don't know if i would

I always rotate front to back keeping the tires on the same side. Fronts tend to wear quicker especially on front wheel dive cars. A few rotations can extend their life.

JimDRll,

Some tired are directional, and can only be front or back on the same side.
Maybe that is what you have? It's marked on the tire,

Guido.

First 3 years I had free oil and tire rotation.
I do my own rotation now, front to back.
I run my hand over tires looking for cupping, Absolutely no cupping, even wear.
My car has TPS. Only problem the diagram of car is backwards. Front tires are actually rear and rear are front tires. No biggie.
If my pressure drops below minimum pressure, GM send me an email.
That happens on a very cold winter day.

My neighbor got his two girls a smaller Chevy to share when the oldest reached 16. He said the rear tires went 125000. Out wearing 2 sets of front tires. So his theary was it was foolish to rotate tires on a front wheel drive car. Same on a Semi. My brother in law has 6 semis on road. Most of you know for some reason the rear drive tires on the tamden wear faster than the front drive tires. He said I was just wearing out 8 instead of 4. Rotating them. But I rotated my f250 tires at 25000. I guess so I could buy all 4 at once. Lol.

(quoted from post at 16:41:31 10/15/21) Had my Avalon in for an oil change, and they rotated the tires. The left rear had gone down 3 pounds recently, but had stabilized and not lost any pressure for the last ten days. Where would that tire been rotated too, right front? I want to monitor that tire in the future.
Is it worthwhile rotating tires? It used to be free with the oil change, but no more. 29 bucks extra.
he owner's manual probably has a recommended rotation. Usually on front drive cars you move the fronts straight back and cross the rears when you bring them forward. On rear drive it's rears straight forward and cross the fronts when you move them back.

My guess is left front, but really they could have put it anywhere. For years, radials were always rotated front to back and back to front on the same side, but I think the most common recommendation these days is right front to left rear, left front to right rear, left rear to left front and right rear to right front.

Yes, if you want to get maximum tire life, you need to rotate them.

Many autos but not all have tire sensors on the inside of the tire. Each sensor are independent of one another. If you really want to track the location of any specific tire first get an exact location of which sensor is where in terms of tire footprint and keep track thereafter. Thats the only way I know for 100% sure. Wingnut

What I failed to mention is that some tire companies have this special electronic wand that they swipe at the tire that identifies those sensors. Wingnut

> If you really want to track the location of any specific tire first get an exact location of which sensor is where in terms of tire footprint and keep track thereafter. Thats the only way I know for 100% sure.

Wouldn't it be simpler to record the tire's serial number?

run rural mail route rotate tires at every tire replace all four got rotated again yesterday. only run 10ply anything else waste time

tire rotation means front on back and no clockwise rotation. that was years ago on the old bias ply tires.

Maybe if he rotated them he could have gotten 100,000 out of all four.:)
Im not letting my 16 year old daughter ride on tires with anything close to 125,000 miles. I wouldnt even let my neighbors daughter do it and I dont like them much.;)

A Firestone store tech told me to bring the r
rears straight forward and cross the fronts going to the back.

Possibly they reprogramed the sensors when they rotated the tires. That's probably the reason for the charge.

Tire rotation is a good idea, but some recommend it too often. About every 10,000-15,000 should be sufficient.

If the fronts are wearing excessively, a check of the suspension and alignment are in order.

Running low on pressure and high speed cornering are the worst enemies!

Is it worthwhile rotating tires? - If your vehicle has full time four wheel drive it is important.

There are exceptions but most rotations are (rear wheel drive and 4 wheel drive) rear straight up cross the front to the rear. The rear tires wear flat and the front will cup,so when you turn the front around you drive on the high side of the cup. Front wheel drive will cup the rear tires, so you cross the rear to the front drive, and they will run the high side down to flat again. The best advice I can give for mileage rotation is every other oil change. If you run them till it is obvious they need a rotation, it is too late. Most people never read the owner's manual on such things. And yes wheels and some tire are directional. Truck tires (road trucks)are all over the place,I got the boss to spring for a drive rotation, X, all 8 and I ran them over 100,000. I just had the rears replaced without a rotation 70,000. The fronts are on the third set(they bounce so bad they have got to go to a trailer. I have had customers that were thrilled to get 6,000 miles on pu tires,and the next guy was thrilled that he was getting 70,000 miles on the same tires. The difference, was one ran all gravel roads and the other never ran gravel.

Bingo.

I do a F to R rotation every time that I change the engine oil.

Engine oil, filter and rotation takes less than an hour and costs about $30 (full syn). Yes, prices are going up but I have stores.

Dean

"Wouldn't it be simpler to record the tire's serial number?"

Learned the hard way serving a search warrant that not all tire serial numbers are unique. It is possible to have multiples the same.

If it loses 3 pounds and stabilizes. It would be the tire that is 3 pounds low when you check the tire pressure.

Today rotating keeps the tires on the same side. Just move front to rear and vise versa. Some are directional and some even marked inside/outside. I am seeing more and more brands coming marked in/out. Even cheap ones.

Most newer cars and trucks will show the pressure in each tire. Jeep, Subraru, Toyota and some Fords will. On those vehicles. When the tires are rotated or replaced. The computer will reset itself to give the proper psi to match the position of the tire sensor no matter where you place it. Left front with 28 psi will show left front 28 psi on the dash. Take that tire off , place it on say the right rear. The computer will reset and show that the right rear only has 28 psi.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back