Bob Bancroft

I am trying to help a young friend who just acquired his family TO30. Neither of us have any experience with this model tractor. He wants to install a temperature gauge. There's an empty hole on the far left of the dash. Is this the correct spot? There's a brass plug in the left side of the casting coming up from the front of the head. It's a straight, fine thread. Before I could determine the thread size, he reinstalled it and refilled the coolant. Is this the correct spot for the bulb? This website offers a gauge with 5/8" NF threads. He has a universal type gauge with the typical 1/2" NPT adaptor. The 1/2"NPT adaptor certainly won't fit, and the bulb is too big for the hole. The threads on the bulb retainer are a tiny bit smaller than the plug.

That spot will not take a bulb as tapped. dash hole probably made for amp gauge. I like mechanical temp gouges, but a sender + electric may serve without taping. I have a 20 + 35, so you will have to survey your (similar) block if no other insights offered.

That spot will not take a bulb as tapped. dash hole probably made for amp gauge. I like mechanical temp gouges, but a sender + electric may serve without taping. I have a 20 + 35, so you will have to survey your (similar) block if no other insights offered.
There are three large holes in the dash. Oil pressure gauge on the right. He has opted for a voltmeter in the hole just to the left of center (tractor now has an alternator) This leaves one large hole to the far left, where he would like a temp gauge.

Very good on the dash hole. I never thought that that was a real issue, just guessed that that once held an amp mtr. You may find a plug near water pump for the bulb. My 35 gas bulb goes there, left side. Otherwise figure you need to- 1) find spot, drill/redrill and tap. or 2) use a workable aftermarket electric gauge and sender. I have seen workable imported ones for as little as $20, and near "race quality" in the $60 and up range.

I found this on the net. It looks like from left to right its ammeter, temperature, oil pressure.
TO-30 gauges.jpg

Thank you. I wish the young fellow would buy an operators manual. A service manual came with the tractor, but it has no picture of the dash.
You are welcome. You would think the service manual would show a picture of the gauge panel but mine doesn't either. I have a TE-20 so that was no help. My TE-20 has no temperature gauge and has no hole in the gauge panel for one.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back