todays project

carvel minne farmer

evening all working on changing out an engine for a customer on a Lincoln sa-200 welder, about a year ago he was finishing up a welding job when the oil murphy shut him down, so to keep going he turned the murphy trip set down to zero and kept welding, the old 163 continental kept on going finished the job. crank and bearings worn enough that when the oil gets up to temp it's sitting on zero lbs!! I started it yesterday morning just to try it and it fired right up, was sitting at 15lbs. till it got warm and then shut down again as I had set the murphy to 10 lbs. how many modern engines would keep running on zero oil pressure?? those old continental flatheads are tough engines. it's been parked for a while, he found another welder that had got run over by a loader in a gravel pit with a good engine and brought the both of them in for an engine swap. some pics of the change out.
9812.jpg
9813.jpg
9814.jpg

the top pic is the old worn out engine, and last 2 are ready to slide in donor engine and armature after cleaning and spraying glyptol insulation in the barrel and armature. dam pics turned sideways again :roll:

There's a lot to be said for those old Continentals and similar engines. Most ran real smooth and had good power, even if they were over built and very heavy. Slow and steady gets the job done!

My uncle had a Ford of around 45 HP and around 1985 vintage. When it was maybe five years old he was working in the woods maybe .3 miles from his house when he punctured the oil filter. Rather than walk back he drove it out, and afterwards was very proud of the tractor because it appeared to sustain no damage. It would have been under ten minutes and it continued to work for him until he passed on maybe ten years later.

You will have upright pics if whe you take
them you have the botton to take th em on
either th e right or bottom of your phone.
If the button is on the left or top th dy
are sideways or upside down. They show
right on the phone either way

(quoted from post at 02:36:53 01/30/18) Looks like the original engine has a magneto?
it do's bob, I like magneto's on an engine, if the battery fails or falls right out of the machine you can always get them going, the only downside of mags now is the cost. mag overhaul kits have gone through the roof up here. I use the pertronix distributors now on the 163 engines very reliable, no points or condenser, just put a new cap. rotor and plugs every fall and your away. but you must have a good battery.

(quoted from post at 05:19:13 01/30/18)
There's a lot to be said for those old Continentals and similar engines. Most ran real smooth and had good power, even if they were over built and very heavy. Slow and steady gets the job done!
and that's the reason I'm still working on them and getting them overhauled bret, being over built and heavy is why I'm rebuilding 40-50-60 year old engines, these little 4 cylinder engines just keep amazing me on the abuse they will take and keep on purring away. my cost now to get an engine overhauled is up to over $3500.00, but they are worth every dime.

(quoted from post at 05:40:41 01/30/18) You will have upright pics if whe you take
them you have the botton to take th em on
either th e right or bottom of your phone.
If the button is on the left or top th dy
are sideways or upside down. They show
right on the phone either way
thanks jon I will talk to the wife, it's her phone, she's the techy in the family :lol:

(quoted from post at 07:47:08 01/30/18) Do you use the genuine glyptol Where do you get it? There is a lot of stuff out there that claims to be glyptol.
good morning mike, hows the rehab going? I do buy genuine glyptol mike I get it from a co. here called electrical insulaters, also buy my fibreglasss insulation socking from them to slide over exposed copper bars. ie. the copper bar with the reed switch in it that go's from the range selector to the - output stud. VERY expensive for both now.

My introduction to Continental "Red Seal" -"Powers the nation!" was in my youth when the old Bidwell Bean Thresher was powered by a 6 cyl, (Maybe F226?) with a magneto. So I was a little surprised when I bought a real antique- old Clark forklift, with a little flat head 4 (Y92 Maybe?) with a distributor sticking right up through the head. I removed the dist. for a tune up, and was alarmed that I couldn't turn it by hand! Assuming it's driven off the oil pump, I envisioned worm gear failure. But I got it lubed and freed up, and it still works great.

(quoted from post at 12:40:59 01/30/18) My introduction to Continental "Red Seal" -"Powers the nation!" was in my youth when the old Bidwell Bean Thresher was powered by a 6 cyl, (Maybe F226?) with a magneto. So I was a little surprised when I bought a real antique- old Clark forklift, with a little flat head 4 (Y92 Maybe?) with a distributor sticking right up through the head. I removed the dist. for a tune up, and was alarmed that I couldn't turn it by hand! Assuming it's driven off the oil pump, I envisioned worm gear failure. But I got it lubed and freed up, and it still works great.
they are an incredible engine bob, in 97 I bought a 1952 baker forklift with the 162 cont. in it I'm sure it was so worn out the pistons where swapping holes :lol: fill up the oil and check the gas and away it would go, in 98 I pulled the engine, had it overhauled, put a chevy alt. on it, pertronix dist. and a couple other upgrades. when that forklift go's down starter etc. there is some serious wining going on in the shop! I have the original manual and original bill of sale for it! sold to the U.S. Navy on april 15/1952, after 10 years or so was sold at auction in newyork to ziedler plywood in montreal Canada, transferred out to ziedler plywood in Edmonton alberta, continental engines bought it from them in the 80's and I bought it from cont. in 97. MR. Baker rolls every day moving and loading welders I would be lost without him.

We had a continetal fiat head engine on an irrigation pump we
revived it from the fence row it had been sitting I don't know
how long we ran it all one summer it was burning 2 gallon engine
oil a day but she just kept on pumping

A lot more pain than I expected. No actual rehab yet except for flexing my hand, wrist and elbow. A lot of swelling from drainage around the elbow, just going down after three weeks. In a sling at least another week.

ouch mike, take it easy on it mike, I know you have to keep it moving sum to keep it from seizing up! I tore a rotater cuff muscle and that was the longest healing of any injury I've ever had. still not a 100%.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back