track adjuster seals 450-B

JPCalhoun

New User
Can anybody clarify this issue for me. The 450-B track adjuster piston rod seal that I purchased from a company named Factory Direct Parts is a nylon material as opposed to the black rubber seals that I removed. It was my understanding that the black rubber type was the only type that would work with this model. I called the company and the guy says this is the only thing available for the 450-b and it is what everybody is using. Comparing the old and new they are dimensionally the same but I dread the thought of having to break the tracks apart again if they won't hold the grease. I know it would be better to swap out the piston rods to a later model but the budget is tight. I installed one and fitted the yoke on it (it went on mighty easy) and pumped in some grease and have seen only a speck of leaking. It is moving the yoke out but is it going to hold when the pounding begins?

The original black rubber ring will not seal in a worn track-adjuster cylinder. When I worked for Deere, it was standard procedure - when working on any old 350 or 450 - to remachine the groove in the piston-tube to accept the newer style seal as use in "C" series and newer. The new, neoprene single-lipped seal is MUCH better and will work in a worn cylinder.

What specs will I need to achieve that. My buddy is a Machinist first Class but I know from experience that will be his first question he ask. I actually installed the neoprene seal that I received and it fit snugly in the groove. And I installed the yoke and chain jacked on some pressure and the only grease I'm seeing is from the grease fitting weeping a little. Do you think maybe the piston rod I have could have been already machined to accept this seal or maybe it is a later rod somebody installed. I don't know the history on this machine so anything is possible.

If you fit the new-style seal into the groove, then the piston has already been remachined. The original groove is much narrower. All it has to do is fit snugly - it's not high-tech machining.

If the grease fitting leaks - change it - and also make sure the steel ball behind the release-bolt has not been lost.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back