Tractor size for square baling?

Noting your user name that’s the tractor I would recommend
A neighbor custom baled thousands of square bales a year with a 135 Massey pulling a 273 New Holland, another neighbor used a 135 with a #12 Massey baler, we had and still have Fords
That said any of the small Massey, Ford or other brands with sweep back front axle design doesn’t lend itself well for loader use
Many have used loaders on those chassis but the heavier straight front axle design is a much better choice
A friend has a 65 Massey like you asked about, I don’t know anything about them but I’m thinking there was something about the hydraulics that made them not a good choice for loader use

Ask a question in the Massey section about that model for loader use
Personally I’d go with a 165, they remind me of my 4000 Ford, great all around tractor size
The 2 digit Masseys had a low volume hydraulic pump. The 1xx models may or may not have more hydraulic capacity. It all depends on how the individual tractor is equipped.

I have about 4 acres I want to bale hay with, also want a tractor with a loader. I’m looking at old tractors like a MF 65, what size tractor or tractor recommendations do y’all have?
I grew up on an 160 acre dairy farm in central Wisconsin. We baled probably 3000 small squares a year. We used an Allis WD on a new holland baler with flat rack behind. We were on pretty flat ground and the Allis worked great with the hand clutch

Depends a lot on capacity of baler and size of windrow. I started with a Farmall B with a #27 baler with a 1 cyl Wisconsin engine, slow going. I baled a 1000 ton a year with a 45 hp 454 IHC with a #430 PTO IHC baler, moved right along. I used a 70 hp JD 2640 on a 346 PTO JD baler, about as fast as ground would allow. I used a 110 hp 4240 on that same baler in 12' red clover windrows and it was first gear power shift at times....James

I have found a tractor with 35 hp, live or independent pto, and more gear choices (5, 6, 8, more…) makes a wonderful small square baler tractor with any of the older balers. This lets me pull a hay rack as well, and is not underpowered at all.

I have found a 50-60 hp tractor works well also with the older balers. And might be more appropriate for a baler made to be higher capacity, or run a thrower or pull really big hay racks.

Bigger than that and you kind get a little bit too big for what the older balers can do.

If you are looking at a very new high capacity baler you will want more tractor, but obviously that is not where you are with this.

Of all this, the live or independent pto is the more important thing for small square baling. Second would be the more gears, to chose a slower one to match the windrow size.

I can make a 25hp tractor run my baler very nicely, since it has a live pto. My 1720 New Holland little loader tractor. I guess it is rated 27 hp, it has live pto and it has 9 forward gears to chose from. I would not make a living baling hay all summer with this little tractor, but it has baled a fair amount of small squares for me when other tractors are tied up. But I hate to recommend such a small tractor - it works because of all the gear choices which you rarely find on old tractors….

The perfect tractor is the IHC 300. 10 forward speeds, independent pto, 35hp.

The Ford 5000 works fine, it’s a little big almost, but is fine. 60hp, 16 speeds.

The 7700 is cumbersome, 85hp. Wheel drives on the windrow…..

Paul

I have about 4 acres I want to bale hay with, also want a tractor with a loader. I’m looking at old tractors like a MF 65, what size tractor or tractor recommendations do y’all have?
Hard question to answer with the limited data. But I will say if you like comfort then a heavy tractor will now shake as mu as a light tractor, live PTO, when in doubt more HP, and a cab with AC. i bale with an in-line CaseIH 8530 pulled by a JD 4700 48 HP hydro utility tractor and no cab.

I have found a tractor with 35 hp, live or independent pto, and more gear choices (5, 6, 8, more…) makes a wonderful small square baler tractor with any of the older balers. This lets me pull a hay rack as well, and is not underpowered at all.

I have found a 50-60 hp tractor works well also with the older balers. And might be more appropriate for a baler made to be higher capacity, or run a thrower or pull really big hay racks.

Bigger than that and you kind get a little bit too big for what the older balers can do.

If you are looking at a very new high capacity baler you will want more tractor, but obviously that is not where you are with this.

Of all this, the live or independent pto is the more important thing for small square baling. Second would be the more gears, to chose a slower one to match the windrow size.

I can make a 25hp tractor run my baler very nicely, since it has a live pto. My 1720 New Holland little loader tractor. I guess it is rated 27 hp, it has live pto and it has 9 forward gears to chose from. I would not make a living baling hay all summer with this little tractor, but it has baled a fair amount of small squares for me when other tractors are tied up. But I hate to recommend such a small tractor - it works because of all the gear choices which you rarely find on old tractors….

The perfect tractor is the IHC 300. 10 forward speeds, independent pto, 35hp.

The Ford 5000 works fine, it’s a little big almost, but is fine. 60hp, 16 speeds.

The 7700 is cumbersome, 85hp. Wheel drives on the windrow…..

Paul
For a 5000 Ford to have 16 speeds it would have to have dual power
That was a rare option on a 5000

For a 5000 Ford to have 16 speeds it would have to have dual power
That was a rare option on a 5000
Dual power wasn’t that rare around here. Mine is actually a 5200. I did look 3-4 years before finding one I liked.

Actually found one first but the jockey had some ridiculous price on it. Was really bummed. Then 8 weeks later found mine at an auction, was exactly half the jockey price. Yah. $5400 was a lot better deal.

For baling, the hi-lo on the go shifting of one gear is really nice, dual power on the ford or TA on the IHC 300.

Paul

baling hay doesn't take much power. The only really important thing is live PTO.
That all depends. First cutting alfalfa-timothy at 3 tons per acre, loading a wagon via a thrower, pulling that wagon up and down a grade of 8-10 percent, and hustling along at 4 MPH or more to beat the coming rain requires more than 25-30 PTO HP. Don't know of any production type operations running an 8N or Farmall H on a baler around here. Sure, they can be made to work in a lot of situations but there is a trade off.

Dual power wasn’t that rare around here. Mine is actually a 5200. I did look 3-4 years before finding one I liked.

Actually found one first but the jockey had some ridiculous price on it. Was really bummed. Then 8 weeks later found mine at an auction, was exactly half the jockey price. Yah. $5400 was a lot better deal.

For baling, the hi-lo on the go shifting of one gear is really nice, dual power on the ford or TA on the IHC 300.

Paul

I like dual power and have it on my 6610, also have a dual power transmission for a future 7600 project build
In my area maybe 1 out of 10 5000’s came with dual power

That all depends. First cutting alfalfa-timothy at 3 tons per acre, loading a wagon via a thrower, pulling that wagon up and down a grade of 8-10 percent, and hustling along at 4 MPH or more to beat the coming rain requires more than 25-30 PTO HP. Don't know of any production type operations running an 8N or Farmall H on a baler around here. Sure, they can be made to work in a lot of situations but there is a trade off.
Absolutely right, but the OP is talking four acres.

Take a look at IH Utility tractors of the 70's & 80's. 464, 574, 674. 84 series. 85 series. 95 series... The check off a lot of boxes. Live PTO and power steering. Plenty of power and weight to run a baler and pull a wagon. Very common with good parts support as long as you don't start with a beat up junker. Available with 4x4 from the 84 series on so if you're using the loader to feed in a muddy lot, you can get around. Many have loaders on them and you can find loaders that are ready to bolt on.

But those 4 acres could be on a substantial hill. Most hills around me are loamy meaning a heavy 1st cutting. I'd rather figure on those conditions versus overestimating the ability of someone to be patient, follow instructions, and use common sense then recommend accordingly. Most of my farm is level but there are hilly spots where a 25-30 HP tractor will get into trouble with a baler and wagon with some hay on it. The smallest tractor I see pulling a baler and wagon is 55 HP and most are a bit larger. The best thing for an 8N to do under those circumstances is bring the lemonade to the tractor operator running the baler.

So you are going to be the one to tell him a MF 65 rated at nearly 50 HP is overkill? He still wants something that is reasonably capable with a loader. An auxiliary pump will provide reasonable lifting but the power steering and front axle are subpar for a loader. I'd look at something else such as a Ford 5000 of which differential lock was an option and are reasonably priced.

Take a look at IH Utility tractors of the 70's & 80's. 464, 574, 674. 84 series. 85 series. 95 series... The check off a lot of boxes. Live PTO and power steering. Plenty of power and weight to run a baler and pull a wagon. Very common with good parts support as long as you don't start with a beat up junker. Available with 4x4 from the 84 series on so if you're using the loader to feed in a muddy lot, you can get around. Many have loaders on them and you can find loaders that are ready to bolt on.
You are on the right track but finding a good older 74, 84, or newer tractor will take some time. Especially if you want it with MFWD. Jay Martin had a 685 MFWD go through his last sale but it looked tired.

But those 4 acres could be on a substantial hill. Most hills around me are loamy meaning a heavy 1st cutting. I'd rather figure on those conditions versus overestimating the ability of someone to be patient, follow instructions, and use common sense then recommend accordingly. Most of my farm is level but there are hilly spots where a 25-30 HP tractor will get into trouble with a baler and wagon with some hay on it. The smallest tractor I see pulling a baler and wagon is 55 HP and most are a bit larger. The best thing for an 8N to do under those circumstances is bring the lemonade to the tractor operator running the baler.
I agree. Our fields have some decent inclines. We bale small squares with our Oliver 1750, New Holland 271, and a flat wagon behind it. Use the same tractor on the round baler. With the ups and downs you wouldn’t want a smaller tractor. We aren’t flat landers and yep a smaller tractor wouldn’t do much here on our fields. An old Ford 2n, 8n, 9n may work for some, but here they are better suited to a brush hog or smaller tasks. I’d never pull a loaded hay wagon here with that small of a tractor. Just not safe. But to each his own.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back