Trailer for hauling 3000 Ford

61uni

I?m tired of having to borrow a trailer to haul the 3000 and I?m looking to buy my own. Will a car hauler with 2 3500 pound axles safely haul the 3000 and a 6ft bush hog. The rear tires are loaded. No wheel weights.

My recommendation would be for a low boy trailer of a length to accommodate your tractor/bush hog length and "width". Don't buy too narrow. I say low boy so that if you want to haul equipment, parts, pieces, junk, whatever...... You have some short sides to help stack and stable the load. A little more difficult with a car hauler. Wingnut.

I would suggest getting brakes on both axles. Moderate speed and short distance should not be a problem. Will be near capacity. Be sure trailer is long enough to get some weight on truck. Otherwise tail may try to wag the dog

Yes, a car hauler with two 3500 LB axles will haul it within it's weight limit.
I had one exactly like that. Trailer weighed 2000 LBS which left me a 5000 LB capacity.
What I didn't like about it was that it only had brakes on one axle.
Stopping is much better with a little bit bigger trailer.
My current one has two 7000 LB Dexter axles with brakes on all four wheels.
It pulls just as easily and feels much safer.

mvphoto55036.jpg

I don't think a car hauler will be long enough. And remember a car hauler has no full floor, just to ramps like pieces down sides of trailer. you could not put anything like a lawn mower on one as it would fall thru where their should be a floor. They will be cheaper than what you need in a utility trailer with a full floor. A car hauler might be only 14' long if made foe a small car, you need at least an 18' trailer to balance the load and with the hog on it might need to be a 20'. I know my 18' is not long enough for my 9N or 2N if I would have that mower on one of them. 16' will handle just the tractor and no mower.

I hauled a 3000 Many Thousands of miles on a 16' 7K two axle trailer. Tractor had pie weights and often with a heavy Bush Hog brand rotary cutter. The trailer had No brakes on it when I bought it used so I bought all 4 on ebay and put them on.
Wasn't hard or real expensive to do.
The tail wheel on the cutter hung over the back end a foot or so to get the tractor/mower balanced good on the trailer. Still legal and safe.
Just as important as the trailer is what are you pulling it with. 1/2 or 3/4 ton?
A 3000 + weights + rotary cutter on a 7K trailer will be Very close to the max CGVWR of a half ton.
So if that's what you have don't go over the CGVWR with an extra heavy trailer.
I've always driven a 3/4 ton so was fine on the CGVWR. I now have a 14K trailer which I license for 12K.

(quoted from post at 19:54:41 05/17/20) I don't think a car hauler will be long enough. And remember a car hauler has no full floor, just to ramps like pieces down sides of trailer. you could not put anything like a lawn mower on one as it would fall thru where their should be a floor. They will be cheaper than what you need in a utility trailer with a full floor. A car hauler might be only 14' long if made foe a small car, you need at least an 18' trailer to balance the load and with the hog on it might need to be a 20'. I know my 18' is not long enough for my 9N or 2N if I would have that mower on one of them. 16' will handle just the tractor and no mower.

Leroy, while there are car haulers with deck only down each side, they are pretty few and far between. I don't think that I bet that I haven't seen one in thirty years. 99% of the time a car hauler has a full deck.

(quoted from post at 19:54:41 05/17/20) I don't think a car hauler will be long enough. And remember a car hauler has no full floor, just to ramps like pieces down sides of trailer. you could not put anything like a lawn mower on one as it would fall thru where their should be a floor. They will be cheaper than what you need in a utility trailer with a full floor. A car hauler might be only 14' long if made foe a small car, you need at least an 18' trailer to balance the load and with the hog on it might need to be a 20'. I know my 18' is not long enough for my 9N or 2N if I would have that mower on one of them. 16' will handle just the tractor and no mower.

Leroy, while there are car haulers with deck only down each side, they are pretty few and far between. I don't think that I bet that I haven't seen one in thirty years. 99% of the time a car hauler has a full deck.

As long as you have sufficient tongue weight it should be alright. I hauled a tractor on Friday that had a front loader and the length of the tractor put the weight too far back and experienced trailer sway.

I have a "standard" around here, 16' x 6 ?' 3500# tandem axle trailer and it easily carries tractors of the sort and implements, even if they hang off the rear somewhat....red flag attached. By driving on rather than backing on, you assure yourself that you have adequate tongue weight. I have a left over camping (residential) trailer equalizer hitch that I use with heavy loads and it really keeps the load under control. Well worth the effort to install it and hook up the tension bars.

I believe all U-Hauls are made like I said. Don't want a sollid deck so it cannot be used to haul something else even a riding mower.

Tractor data shows a 3000 Ford weighs around 4,000# plus add for loaded tires. Woods shows a six foot mower weighs 811# to 1210# depending which one. Big Tex car trailers shows capacities from 7000# to 8000# with two 5200# axles. So, do the math.

(quoted from post at 09:26:43 05/18/20) Tractor data shows a 3000 Ford weighs around 4,000# plus add for loaded tires. Woods shows a six foot mower weighs 811# to 1210# depending which one. Big Tex car trailers shows capacities from 7000# to 8000# with two 5200# axles. So, do the math.

Each 13.6x28 rear tire holds 43 gallons of fluid, weighing 359lbs per wheel, so add another 720lb.

4000 + 720 + 811 = 5531lbs

With a 7000 GVWR trailer, IFFY, best case scenario.

With a 10,000 GVWR trailer you know you've got capacity and room for growth.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back