trans/hydraulic fluid.

First9n

New User
So this old 9n I picked up, the trans/hydraulic fluid was way over full. I used the remove the bottom bolt on the cover method to get a close level. Drained out about 2 extra gallons of fluid. The fluid looks pretty good, but should I decide to change it what fluid do we use nowadays? Does the over full condition cause any damage/issues?

thanks all

This post was edited by First9n on 11/02/2022 at 11:11 am.

Ford changed the 1939 spec of 80/90w oil to UTF years ago. Any UTF that meets the Ford spec M2C134D will work fine in your N tractor. Just read the label on
the container.

I use the UTF from TSC year around here in VA.

You will find the UTF to work a lot better below 32* F than 80/90 w oil.

See tips 3 & 4

Do NOT overfill it. If you overfill it, the excess will leak past the wheel seals and get on your brakes.

Unless the sump is totally clean, a dry sump will only take about 4.5 gallons. Remove the lower bolt on the inspection plate, add 4.5 gallons and come back the
next day to see if it needs more. Remember, it takes a long time for that oil to get back there.
75 Tips

I have pretty much the same question

Having had a 2n for a bit over 24 hours now, I think that overfilling might also cause leaks out the PTO and the front seal on the Sherman trans along with the axles. I knew when I bought it that the clutch was sticking and oil was leaking out of the vent hole under the clutch, which figured heavily in the price.

After running it long enough to unload the implements, the lift was drifting down pretty fast so I though that the oil might be low. When I checked the dipstick, the oil was foamy. It took hours for the foam to break up and this morning the oil was about an inch higher on the dip stick than it should be.

Is foaming caused by something mechanical, the wrong oil or too much oil?

Foamy is likely caused by having water in the oil. Need to drain and flush the system. Plenty of info in the archives. If three point arms are dropping fast you likely need to change the seal in the lift cylinder.

When you see the oil overfull, especially transmission oil, in a tractor you are not totally familiar with, your first thought should be water. It is heavier than oil and will settle at the bottom of the pan, making your dipstick show overfull of oil. Draining it off the top as you did, using the bolt hole, will not show the water at the bottom of the pan. Try unscrewing the drain plug just until stuff starts leaking and see whether it is water or oil. If it's oil then your tractor is overfull with oil. If it starts out clear, it's got a bunch of water that needs to be let out.

I had my 8 N tractor outside when a bad storm caused river to rise and my crank case was filled with water so I drained it emptied 2 gallons of water before getting oil then changed oil started right up.
next check dip stick in transmission and also over filled / drained water to the point of fluid coming out .should I completly drain and add 4.5 gal of new or can I still use what was in it ? I had changed it last year. any thoughts?

(quoted from post at 20:52:11 11/20/22) I had my 8 N tractor outside when a bad storm caused river to rise and my crank case was filled with water so I drained it emptied 2 gallons of water before getting oil then changed oil started right up.
next check dip stick in transmission and also over filled / drained water to the point of fluid coming out .should I completly drain and add 4.5 gal of new or can I still use what was in it ? I had changed it last year. any thoughts?

I would.

Dan

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back