Tree Damage Case 580CK loader/backhoe need help.

Ben J

New User
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am here because I just purchased this machine today. It is a 1968 Case 580CK loader/backhoe. The backhoe has an extendable reach dipper. I need advice getting things back together. The Gentleman who sold it to me said his father purchased it new back in 1968. They own a Hydraulic repair shop. Almost all hydraulic hoses have been replaced in the last 10 years, and all of the cylinders have been redone as well. That feature alone was worth the purchase price. The owner said that the machine was started at least once a month for various chores around the shop, and never "sat" for long periods. I arrived in the morning to look it over, and it started right up (in five seconds) with a small shot of ether. The battery he used to start it was weak, and the machine was turning over slow in my opinion, so maybe with a good strong battery it would have started on its own. After warm-up, it started flawlessly on its own twice.
Here's how the story goes: The machine was being prepared for sale, when an irresponsible tree surgeon felled a tree on the shed where the machine was parked inside. When the tree hit the shed, the shed fell on the machine with the tree on top. Beside that, this is a 52 year old piece of equipment. Most of the wiring was removed over the years. Everything has a thin layer of surface rust. Gauges are down to one unit hanging loose for oil pressure. Several knobs are missing from the handles. Ect..
The tree did a good bit of damage to the machine. The loader control handle is bent. The throttle handle is bent. The forward/reverse handle is bent. The steering wheel is gone. The right footwell on the backhoe looks like a potato chip. The Instrument cluster is crushed. The fuel tank is severely dented underneath. Also, the lower casting for the steering column is broken and the shuttle valve shaft is bent on at least one side.
1. Where can I find a used shuttle valve or repair kit, and where do I find a replacement steering column?
2. Is the lower cast iron steering column the same for the model B (580CK-B) tractor?
cvphoto62645.jpg

cvphoto62646.jpg

cvphoto62647.jpg

cvphoto62648.jpg

cvphoto62649.jpg

cvphoto62650.jpg

cvphoto62651.jpg

cvphoto62652.jpg

search on the net for backhoe salvage yards. they made a lot of them so you should be able to find one. maybe even close to you.

Giving a general idea of your location might get some ideas of sources near you, rather than just random salvage yards, not that shipping parts is uncommon, it just adds to cost if not needed. Just a thought.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back