U4 Power Unit Pulleys

PeterS

New User
Picked up a U4 power unit. Wondering what pulleys were available for these units? The one on there is for V-belts, is roughly 9-1/2 in diameter, grooves 7/8 wide. Were flat belt pulleys available?

Yes. The drive output shaft (in the pulley hub) could have several methods of driving the pulley. Pulleys can be adapted to the shaft. Choosing a pulley should be based on the Power Unit's FUll throttle RPM, and the driven pulley's diameter, and the intended Driven RPM. Finding an original pulley might be harder than adapting a more standard IH PTO pulley to the shaft. Jim

Thanks Jim. Im hoping to use it to power a shingle mill. May not be an ideal vintage match, but as close as we have. Just for fun anyway, but I dont want to spin the shingle mill faster than it should be,

You could glue v belts into the grooves of the existing pulley using a slightly taller/wider belt in the center grooves. maybe 1/16 inch taller in the center! JB weld or gorilla epoxy would hold. Use a long hose clamp to push the V belts down into the groove while hardening. I would rough up the grooves with 60 grit paper to make them much less smooth. Jim

just what pulley do you want or are you just asking a silly question when those power units had different pulleys for the job. What are you going to be using the units power for will depend on what kind of a pulley you will need

I had a U2 power unit that came with a v belt pulley. Paper pulleys inc in Columbia, TN made me a new flat belt pulley for it. You will need to know the shaft diameter and keyway info as well as the width and diameter of the pulley you want. I recall I paid less than $200 for my pulley but that was 10-12 years ago. I think Paper pulleys inc is still in business. I used my U2 to run equipment at shows for several years.

Not a hypothetical silly question. As stated, it will power a shingle mill. Currently it has a V-belt pulley on it. We need a flat belt pulley. Shingle mill has 12 pulley and needs to spin at 1200 to 1400 rpm. U4 will run at 1800. I certainly can do the math. Just need the correct pulley, and was hoping to gain specific knowledge of that particular pulley fitment. I have the manuals now with the shaft dimensions.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back