Update on 92 plymouth colt Vista air conditioner

rlp in Co.

Well the new harmonic balancer came and I installed it and a new belt today. I also put on a shut off valve on the heater hoses. What a difference! Before the shut off valve, the air was only kinda cool; now, would you believe 46 degrees? Now that summer is almost over, I have cold air! Ha This car us almost like new, I rebuilt the engine in it and only drove it for a while and it has been parked for almost 20 years! I really like it so far except for the harmonic balancer put together with rubber. Why would they do that. other than to sell harmonic balancers? PS I paid $225 for the car with a bad engine and low miles. I have about $250 in engine parts

For what it is worth, I have seen MANY harmonic balancers put together with rubber. That is done to reduce vibration. not to sell more of them. A 30 year old balancer will have degraded rubber from exposure to the elements. This one owed you nothing! It was at least 15 years past its expected lifetime.

Harmonic balancer is a misnomer.
They are actually a vibration or harmonics dampener.
And that rubber bonded in between the crank mount and outer ring is there to absorb vibrations and harmonics.

The rubber is what makes it work, unless it is an expensive racing damper with viscous fluid in it. Rubber bonded dampers have been used forever. I suppose they could just use a solid pulley, then the crank might break from torsional stress. 30 years is pretty good life, think you got your money's worth. I'm surprised one was still available for one of Chrysler's rebranded Mitsubishis.

Back in the 70's, Dodge used this water shutoff valve to control heat. The shutoff valve is activated by a choke like cable.
cvphoto98312.jpg

(quoted from post at 10:02:22 08/22/21)

This post was edited by Louis A on 08/22/2021 at 06:10 am.

Read up on the law.
It says
OR 32 years after model year.

"Vehicles must be (a) Model year 1975 or earlier; or(b) Model year 1976 or later that was registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009; except that a vehicle so registered is not eligible for registration as a collector's item upon sale or transfer to a new owner; [b:f97c297577]OR (c) A model year at least thirty-two years old [/b:f97c297577]unless the vehicle was registered before September 1,2009, and meets the requirements of paragraph (b) "

Read up on the law.
It says
OR 32 years after model year.

"Vehicles must be (a) Model year 1975 or earlier; or(b) Model year 1976 or later that was registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009; except that a vehicle so registered is not eligible for registration as a collector's item upon sale or transfer to a new owner; [b:309cbb941f]OR (c) A model year at least thirty-two years old [/b:309cbb941f]unless the vehicle was registered before September 1,2009, and meets the requirements of paragraph (b) "

You are correct. That's why I edited my post after looking more on different websites. Originally when they changed the law back in 2009 it was 1975 and older, but they changed it again later, now it is 32 years old. There's a lot of misinformation on the internet. Hard to find the facts sometimes, but you were right about the 32 years old thing. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

This post was edited by Louis A on 08/22/2021 at 06:42 am.

Some harmonic balancers have bolt on pulleys, which I think is best and some press the pulley on the elastomer sleeve which I think is a mistake.

(quoted from post at 11:46:55 08/22/21) Some harmonic balancers have bolt on pulleys, which I think is best and some press the pulley on the elastomer sleeve which I think is a mistake.

The only ones I have ever seen sure looke to have had the rubber poured in hot and "vulcanized" to the metal.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back