Update on cleaning tractor diesel fuel tank

Richard G.

This is on the Massey Ferguson 165 I am helping the state ag museum with.
Well, I pressure washed it inside and out and it had a bunch of loose gunk inside after I finished.
A friend from across the river in GA sent me an email saying he has used purple power sloshed around to clean a dirty tank.
I bought 2 gallons yesterday and the first one dissolved the gunk and it was black coming out. Rinsed it a long time until water ran clean. Poured the second gallon in and sloshed around and it came out clean. Rinsed a long time with water and it was clean.
Inside of tank looks very good.
The fuel sending unit float was bad and I found one that fit for less than $3 at O'Rielly's.
Painted the outside of the tank just to make it look nice. Almost no rust on it and it was just thin surface rust.
Gonna set up a 2 inch squirrel cage fan at the openings today and dry it out.
Thanks for all the advice and especially thank you Ed in GA.
Richard in NW SC

Why not just put the exhaust side of a vacuum cleaner in the tank to move air for drying. Could also pour some alcohol in then slosh and dump out will attach to the water. For lack of better wording.

I have used a leaf blower with a piece of hose duct taped onto the nozzle. I stick it down in the tank and let it run for an hour or two.I also have set it in font of a torpedo heater and then run the leaf blower. Works great.Mark.

When I need to get something dry quickly like after phosphoric acid treatment, to avoid flash rust, I use alcohol.

Put about 1/2 bottle of alcohol in tank and swished it around. Then put little blower at the filler hole and let it run this afternoon.
Inside is dry and looks brand new.
Richard
a262586.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back