Update on H electrical issue

GregtheDC

Good Morning
I just wanted to update everyone who helped and responded to my request for help on my H on trying to figure out if Positive ground or not. I took all the info everyone posted and after looking over the tractor closely, and wiping some old oil and grease off, I'm pretty sure its positive ground. the positive wire from the coil goes to the side of of the distributor, and the neg wire goes to the on/off switch and then out to the starter button. Tracing the wiring it looks like that on my Super A, but the SA is still a 6 v system. I hooked up the batt again, with the ground to positive however it would not turn over. Several people posted that at 7.7v, which is what is showing on my meter, it would not turn over. The Tractor ran great up until it sat for the summer, not started since Spring. Always start easy and when I hand crank it it turns over very easy. I want to thank everyone who took time to reply and offer advice. I read this site several times a week and learn so much, I figure even things that are not effecting my old tractors may and hopefully some of the info from on here will come to mind. Thanks again to all I really appreciate the quick responses and help.
Also anyone going to the auction near Strafford, MO tomorrow, several letter series tractors listed. Supposed to be in the low 40's and rain.
Greg

from what your telling us its still pretty original . but it has a dead 12 volt battery in it. i would buy a new 6 volt battery and problem solved. many people dont know these old tractors use 6 volt battery's in them and just stuff in a 12 volt as which may have happened. ooh and yes you have a pos. ground 6 volt system. so that my advise get a new 6 volt battery.

Rain and probable snow here in Central MN. I believe you should check the serial number on the generator and put it in a Google search. It should show up as 6 or 12v. Go with that information when replacing the battery. Or if the generator is 12v, charge the existing battery with a good charger that can begin a charge. Some new chargers fail to begin charging if they don't see a partially charged battery. If it does take a charge, the battery should read 12.6 volts after charging and sitting for an hour. Anything less than 12.5 is suspect. If it was starting and running on 12v, other things may be not working (especially if it is a 6v generator. Jim

A few things need be clarified about the situation with your tractor. In your other post you said ..it came to your place without a battery.. So in some capacity you or your son have seen it run? Now it sat since spring and will not start? You could just for trial purposes take the battery out of your Super A and set it in their connected positive ground and see what happens. If you have what I like to call a ..bullet.. style original coil on it that is very likely a 6 volt coil, see link. If you do not see a white ceramic resistor near it the previous owner probably just ran the ignition in the 6 volt configuration, it works but heats up the coil and decreases distributor point life. If you do not have a bullet coil then more research needs done to determine exactly what the coil is you have. Trying to diagnose a machine using a 12 volt battery that shows 7.7 volts is a lot like draining your cooling system and then looking for a coolant leak. I do not know if this was mentioned in your other post, but pulling out the light bulbs to see if they are 6 or 12 volts will give you an idea how serious the 12 volt conversion was. Also BTW if you do have a 12 volt battery in it and it has 6 volt bulbs if 12 volt power get to them they will not last much longer then 5 - 10 seconds.
Previous post

Bullet coil

I go along with what used red said. But I want to add one precautionary step. Given the (partly unknown) history, be sure to POLARIZE THE GENERATOR as soon as you install a battery. Do this whatever voltage and polarity you use for the battery.

To polarize, use a jumper wire to momentarily put battery voltage into the A terminal of the generator. The convenient way is usually to jump from the regulator BATT to the regulator GEN terminal. You will see a spark.

I put in a 6v battery in it and it started in about 3 seconds, ran fine. The serial number on the Generator says its a 6v that was used in Farmall tractors from the A to a W model. It was set as a positive ground, ran fine,
Thanks again for all the help here, this is a great place of help and an education.
Greg

good for you for taking the time to do the proper thing to a tractor which is the way it should be and was from the factory. it will run forever and be happy. why people torchure then little engines starters with 12 volts is beyond me, even my old W9 starts on the 2nd flip with 6 volts. a little clue here ... keep you ignition and battery cables in good shape and all is good, there was no 12 volt batteries when these tractors were new. and the diesels used 2 6 volt batteries in series to make 12 volts to start those engines on gas. plus yes u can repolarize the reg.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back