valve stem for tube,,?

Buggyboy

Well, I'm kinda off on a tangent on the Ferguson TO20 but something that needs doing. I found a pair of rear tires and wheels of the same bolt pattern I need. 8 lugs on 6" bolt circle. The fellar said he had em on a Ford 8N, so they are same as my Ferguson. The tires are no good but was more interested in the wheels for now.
My question for the GURUs is ,,one of the wheels has some rust around the valve stem and is going to need some metal raplacing and new valve stem hole drilled elsewhere. In looking ahead for new tubes, I se where there are many different types of valve stems and configerations.
What "kind" or "number" of valve stem am I gonna need for the tubes??

(quoted from post at 22:36:10 12/14/21) Well, I'm kinda off on a tangent on the Ferguson TO20 but something that needs doing. I found a pair of rear tires and wheels of the same bolt pattern I need. 8 lugs on 6" bolt circle. The fellar said he had em on a Ford 8N, so they are same as my Ferguson. The tires are no good but was more interested in the wheels for now.
My question for the GURUs is ,,one of the wheels has some rust around the valve stem and is going to need some metal raplacing and new valve stem hole drilled elsewhere. In looking ahead for new tubes, I se where there are many different types of valve stems and configerations.

TR218 is the common stem on rear tractor tubes. It is the type with the removable core housing and the clamp nut (usually nylon) to secure it in the rim hole, to allow for liquid ballasting if wanted. Personal choice, I would go for new tubes with the TR218 stems, rather than trying to glue a replacement stem on an old tube.

(quoted from post at 19:51:44 12/14/21)
(quoted from post at 22:36:10 12/14/21) Well, I'm kinda off on a tangent on the Ferguson TO20 but something that needs doing. I found a pair of rear tires and wheels of the same bolt pattern I need. 8 lugs on 6" bolt circle. The fellar said he had em on a Ford 8N, so they are same as my Ferguson. The tires are no good but was more interested in the wheels for now.

Hey Jim, Thanks for the quick response. On The one tube, the valve stem has already separated from the tube, so I'm assuming it is a total loss. I'm going to buy new tubes is why I was asking what kind as one tube has a long bent 45 stem and the other has a really short straight stem,?
I'm wondering if these tires/tubes had some of the stuff they use to make em heavier because when I got there the guy that was suppossed to use his loader to load em on my trailer never did show up so we had to do it by hand and finally had to wave down a couple of guys to get some help,,THEY were VERY HEAVY,!!
What is the best method to get that chemical out of the tubes to remove the tires so I can do the repairs to the one wheel?
Is it hazardous to get on my skin?

TR218 is the common stem on rear tractor tubes. It is the type with the removable core housing and the clamp nut (usually nylon) to secure it in the rim hole, to allow for liquid ballasting if wanted. Personal choice, I would go for new tubes with the TR218 stems, rather than trying to glue a replacement stem on an old tube.

If your looking to fill those after repair, you might take that into consideration on valve stem. Or the shop doing the job may have a
preference .
Repairing the old one is easy enough with a sheet of 12 or 14 ga cut to size.
Weld in one corner, heat and beat to shape. complete weld, grind smooth.
Drill new hole exactly 180 degrees from old hole in same position on the rim as the old one. Was it on the flat or on the edge?
Now on the open side of the rim you can fill that hole with Bondo cheap enough.
Or buy yourself a new rim from fleabay.

JEEEZE,,I have no idea how I messed up my reply to Jim,,? Sorry Jim,,,

Hey Bruce, sure glad to see your reply. I'm just curious on why the new stem hole to be 180 from the old one? Actually that was what I was gonna do as that is where the better metal is,,,, The other thing is NO, I do not plan on putting anything back in the new tubes but AIR,,,I see no reason for any extra weight just for a brush hog,,,Ya know,,,LOL.
By the way,,,how do you safely remove whatever they put in the tubes for weight? When I was poking around the valve stem, the tube separted and fell away from the stem, but I could not see any liquid in the tube but something sure in there cause them tires weighed so much that 4 men struggled to get em on the trailer,,,!!!!
Any ideas,,?

If the liquid is a calcium chloride mix it with be corrosive mixture, so be careful where you tackle removing it. It will keep dust down and will kill grass and some weeds. It may burn some, especially in cuts and cracked skin, don't get it in your eyes. It will have a sticky feeling.

If a stem separated from the tube, I'm surprised you didn't get fluid coming out while you were loading them. If it was lying flat with the stem up when it separated, you might not see fluid as they are normally only filled to top of the rim when standing upright, so there is air in it. Depending on the stem you can get one of the air/liquid adapters at most farm supply stores, and auto parts stores can get them. With one of those you can use a cheap drill powered pump to pull the fluid out. Some slide a piece of steel brake tubing through the stem and use hose to a pump to pull it out. Some stand them up with the stem at the bottom and just pull the core (or core housing on a TR218) and just let it fly. That works best if the wheels are still on the tractor, so the tire goes flat better. For the one the stem separated from the tube, it may be a good candidate to try sliding a piece of steel or copper tube into and pumping it out. You can try removing the core of the stem that is still attached to the tube and if a piece of tubing won't slide through it, just hose from the stem to a pump and try pulling it out without buying an adapter.

Or have a tire shop empty and dismount them for you. Then you can bring the tires and rims home and do your repairs. If they did have calcium in them you want the inside of the rims cleaned/washed really good, maybe even blasted, and painted before putting the tires back on.

4 people to load it up? Midgets, right? If they had to pick it up and place it due to no trailer ramps, then 4 flat landers, right?
Roll it up a ramp? 4?
Why 180 out? Keep track of it for the next two repairs. Next one is 90 out and the last one is another 180.
that covers North, South, East and West.
If the stem fell off the tube, roll it so the stem is down. Something should leak out. Full is at 75%.
Now if the stem didn't fall off, 5 foot rubber hose (5/16?) over the valve stem. clamp it on. valve stem at the bottom, place hose into
barrel. Stops flowing? Compressed air in the hose, fill up the tire, notice it getting larger when filled with air.
Remove air hose and fluid will follow very quickly. Put the open hose back into the barrel. About 27 gallons if filled.

(quoted from post at 19:24:51 12/15/21) 4 people to load it up? Midgets, right? If they had to pick it up and place it due to no trailer ramps, then 4 flat landers, right?
Roll it up a ramp? 4?
Why 180 out? Keep track of it for the next two repairs. Next one is 90 out and the last one is another 180.
that covers North, South, East and West.
If the stem fell off the tube, roll it so the stem is down. Something should leak out. Full is at 75%.
Now if the stem didn't fall off, 5 foot rubber hose (5/16?) over the valve stem. clamp it on. valve stem at the bottom, place hose into
barrel. Stops flowing? Compressed air in the hose, fill up the tire, notice it getting larger when filled with air.
Remove air hose and fluid will follow very quickly. Put the open hose back into the barrel. About 27 gallons if filled.

Hey Bruce Thank you for your comments,(I think) LOL. Actually if I had been watching someone else trying to do this, It prolly would of been comical. See, the dude was suppossed to have his neighbor furnish a tractor to load em but he never showed so I figured my buddy and I could handle them BUT, the dude never mentioned that they were full of something!!Anyway, I backed my car hauler right up to the tires and after much efforts, we finally got one to "lean" onto the trailer (I KNEW we were in trouble at that point) we both tried to pick up the tire from the ground and slide it onto the trailer bed (bout 14" off the ground) and we never budged it! So, I had a couple of those ratchet straps and I hooked both on the wheel stud holes and they did not budge it either. We found a couple of 2X4's bout 6 foot long and we did move the tire bout 2" is all with me running from one strap to the other to no avail. Bout 36 minutes of this chit and there is a car come by with a couple of what looked like High school dudes and I asked if they would help and they jumped out and those two were Amazing with me on the straps and those three finally got the tire on the floor of trailer and then I could ratchet it forward enough that the other tire would fit. The second tire took longer as even them HS boys was plumb give out,,,,,I gave em a $20 to buy some beer and that perked em up,,,,,Ha, ha, ha,,,,,
I think one of the boys has a 12 volt pump, so I'm gonna give ya'll's idea a try to pump the fluid out but ain't decided how to dispose of it,,? I called a tire shop what their cost was and he calmly told me $100 to pump it out, plus another $100 to remove the tires off the wheels,,,,,Sheeesh,,!!

Here are some you tubes on removing a tractor tires form its rim.

Look here

A few weeks ago I got a "Bead Buster" to remove tires from split rims on my 1967 International PU. You might find one of these devices to be handy. Several years ago I replaced the inner tube on one of the TO-30's front wheels. I was a long laborious irksome task as the tractor had no been in use for about 20 years and who knows when the front tires ad been renewed before that. I also broke down the spare for the old Cornbinder which took several hours of pounding and prying the rusted on bead before it would give up. I'm too old for that kind of work-out these days.

There are several videos of bead buster in use included in the above link.

Hey WJAR, many Thanks for that suggestion and link, I watched a couple of videos and that little tool is impressive, ain't it? but it kind of pricey for no more tires than I want to mess with especially 24" tractor tires full of who knows what,,,,, I'ma check out The MarketPlace on FB and maybe Ebay for a gently used one,,,,
Maybe the $100 he wanted ain't THAT high,,and I ain't gettin any younger,,,,,LOL.

(quoted from post at 15:48:12 12/15/21) If the liquid is a calcium chloride mix it with be corrosive mixture, so be careful where you tackle removing it. It will keep dust down and will kill grass and some weeds. It may burn some, especially in cuts and cracked skin, don't get it in your eyes. It will have a sticky feeling.

If a stem separated from the tube, I'm surprised you didn't get fluid coming out while you were loading them. If it was lying flat with the stem up when it separated, you might not see fluid as they are normally only filled to top of the rim when standing upright, so there is air in it. Depending on the stem you can get one of the air/liquid adapters at most farm supply stores, and auto parts stores can get them. With one of those you can use a cheap drill powered pump to pull the fluid out. Some slide a piece of steel brake tubing through the stem and use hose to a pump to pull it out. Some stand them up with the stem at the bottom and just pull the core (or core housing on a TR218) and just let it fly. That works best if the wheels are still on the tractor, so the tire goes flat better. For the one the stem separated from the tube, it may be a good candidate to try sliding a piece of steel or copper tube into and pumping it out. You can try removing the core of the stem that is still attached to the tube and if a piece of tubing won't slide through it, just hose from the stem to a pump and try pulling it out without buying an adapter.

Or have a tire shop empty and dismount them for you. Then you can bring the tires and rims home and do your repairs. If they did have calcium in them you want the inside of the rims cleaned/washed really good, maybe even blasted, and painted before putting the tires back on.

Hey JimMe,, well, I guess my toolie-wak is the blackest on this one,,,I called a tire shop about pumping the stuff out of both tubes and he wanted $200 plus another $200 to dismount the tires,,,!!!! $400 is a bit out of my SS budget SO,,I'ma gonna buy me one of the drill powered pumps you talk about as Home Depot has em that will pump water or oil for $24 with a suction and discharge hoses. Then I can use my front end loader Allis D14 to break the beads,,,,,after that,,,I ain't saying,,,!!! Lol

(quoted from post at 08:02:33 12/21/21)
(quoted from post at 15:48:12 12/15/21) If the liquid is a calcium chloride mix it with be corrosive mixture, so be careful where you tackle removing it. It will keep dust down and will kill grass and some weeds. It may burn some, especially in cuts and cracked skin, don't get it in your eyes. It will have a sticky feeling.

Hey JimMe,, well, I guess my toolie-wak is the blackest on this one,,,I called a tire shop about pumping the stuff out of both tubes and he wanted $200 plus another $200 to dismount the tires,,,!!!! $400 is a bit out of my SS budget SO,,I'ma gonna buy me one of the drill powered pumps you talk about as Home Depot has em that will pump water or oil for $24 with a suction and discharge hoses. Then I can use my front end loader Allis D14 to break the beads,,,,,after that,,,I ain't saying,,,!!! Lol

AW,,Shoot,,I'ma gonna have to start makin sure I'm awake before I start posting real early like I done,,,,LOL.,, What I meant to post was that I "HAD" posted before that the valve stem had fallen off the tube but was NOT the case,,,,When I was tapping on the rusted metal around the stem, the stem did fall loose from wheel and fall into the area where the tube rests!! NOW, I'm leery to try to break the tire bead with the loader bucket for fear in crushing the tube full of some kind of meaness. What ya'll think bout proceeding from here???? I been trying to fish the stem back into where it goes but no luck yet,,, I DID buy the drill powered from Home Depot and looks like a well built piece and says it will pump water, oil, and fluids with some particulates with a window screen onn the suction line,,,
What say if I just cut a hole in the tube witha knife to stick the pump suction hose thru it???

(quoted from post at 18:14:54 12/21/21)
That will work, if it has any air pressure in it, you may get some spray when you stab it.

Hey, Jim, I had already taken the valve core out of stem and I did get a few drops of fluid out the stem and I do have the tires leaning against a trailer with the stem at the lowest position. I do not have a small enough metal tube to fit inside the stem anyway to get down to the fluid, and did not find anything at local hardware store either! AND,,I can't go look at what the tire repair shop uses,,,cause I remember a comment thrown out there about his prices and some family members being robbers or something similar,,,LOL

Which type stem is it? With a TR218 stem you remove the core housing, not just the Schrader valve itself, and that gives about a 1/4" hole through the stem. You can try clamping a hose over the outside of the stem and run your pump on that. The inner tube should collapse as the pump pulls a vacuum on the fluid, if it doesn't have too large a hole in it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back