Varnish/oil for truck bed boards in '53

agreve

New User
I am almost finished with restoring a '53 ford f250 long bed pickup. I cut and rabbet jointed the boards, and I'm looking for the best way to preserve the wood for the long haul.

I used clear oak for the boards, which I planed down to 13/16 thickness. After talking to some local enthusiasts, I believe the original boards were never perfectly clear lumber out of the showroom, and usually just oiled.

I've put two coats of a varnish/oil finish so far (boiled linseed oil, exterior spar urethane, turpentine) and I'm wondering what the best way to preserve this wood will be. Of course It will have very minimal exposure to the elements, but what would the best varnish/urethane product be in order to not have to worry about refinishing the boards every two years? I'm looking for the best "original-looking" product, but a complete sealing varnish that would be maintenance free would work as well.

Also, for curiosity's sake, does anyone know what type of wood was originally used and how it was finished?

The original bed wood protectant was paint. Plain old paint. Same color as the truck. If you want to see the grain, though, a spar marine grade varnish is good. As I understand there was no one wood species that was used exclusively. Red oak or ash would be most common.

Agreve,

The concoction you have already put on is excellent. That mixture, if proportioned right will hand rub to a nice durable shine. It can be renewed at any time with a fresh coat of the same mix. Your present finish soaks into the wood, and will not peel, or decay from sunlight, unlike most polyurethanes or other surface coatings. You can also touch up scratches with a rag full of your mix, and rub it until it is almost invisible. I'd suggest you just put on more of the same mix. Steve

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back