Wagner loader - 1/2" or 3/8" hose on pump output?

K5_489

99% sure that I have a WM3 loader. Matches other pictures online of a WM3, but the ID plate is long gone on mine. Mounted on 8N, front mount PTO pump mounted to loader frame ahead of grille, driven off shaft on front of crank pulley.

Bucket tilt cylinder recently sprung a leak, showering me in hydraulic fluid (fun it was not... :roll:), so I'm replacing all the hoses now. Most hoses were simple replacements, but I'm left pondering which way to go on the pump output hose.

Pump output is 1/2" NPT, hard line on tractor is 3/8" NPT (as are all the hard lines, the rest of the various hose fittings, and cylinder fittings). Owners manual only says to insert the 1/2" end of the hose into the pump. I presume the originally supplied hose had a 1/2" male fitting on one end, and a 3/8" fitting on the other end, but the owners manual doesn't specify whether the hose itself was 3/8" or 1/2".

The current hose is presumably 1/2" ID (based on it being considerably larger in OD than the others, and matches new 1/2" ID hose) 1/2" MNPT on both ends, with a 1/2" FNPT to 3/8" MNPT adapter on the hard line.

I have both a 3/8" ID and 1/2" ID hose assembly that would fit here, using an appropriate adapter either on the hard line end, or pump end, to fit. Is it better to use either size here, or is it a wash either way because it's just getting reduced to the smaller hard line size shortly after exiting the pump anyways?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back