Was the JD 44 series corn head copied or original?

Loosehandle

Seems slow on this form and noticed the revived baler knotter discussion so thought it would be interesting to hear about corn head innovation.

Seems slow on this form and noticed the revived baler knotter discussion so thought it would be interesting to hear about corn head innovation.
Well, the first Oliver corn heads cut the whole plant and ran it through. Anything from there was an improvement.

I do not know the answer but the 44 series were a huge improvement over the 235,335,435 and 635 Deere had on the 45,55,95 and 105's. I had a 435 on my 95 and it head about 2 miles of roller chain. One feature it had I did like was a lever to adjust the deck plates and the snapping roll spacing. Tom

I do not know the answer but the 44 series were a huge improvement over the 235,335,435 and 635 Deere had on the 45,55,95 and 105's. I had a 435 on my 95 and it head about 2 miles of roller chain. One feature it had I did like was a lever to adjust the deck plates and the snapping roll spacing. Tom
Yes I had a old Case combine that also had miles of chain tensioned by wood blocks.

I had a 435 JD mounted on my
Image0344.jpg
JI Case combine and sold it for a 444, 4 row wide. Ran easier and only chain was for the auger feeding the feeder house. The individual enclosed gear box per row was all new compared to any other. JD corn heads set the standard for others. Still run a 643 JD head on my 1640 axial flow combine.

I heard back in the day from an IH farmer that they copied JD for the gathering chain design. Made the comment to him while I was working on his head that it sure looked like a JD design and said the IH got in trouble because of it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back